MechHero Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: What killed Mech Hero?  (Read 6504 times)

Mech-_-Monkey

• Puma
What killed Mech Hero?
« on: February 13, 2016, 07:40:32 PM »

I would like to start a chat about what killed mech hero, before it officially dies. I hope to cast a light on the negative features of mech hero that may cause most player to leave. In order to rectify the problems and perhaps give the dev/s a chance to make a come-back.

I'll start with my own personal experience.

The Super Hero Account, In your 1st session of playing with a fresh mech hero account, you realize how fluid the game is.

You can easily harvest.
Monitor market values.
Duplicate Auctions.
Your mech setup > Battle sim export.
Produce missing Equipment.
Re-call failed harvesting.
Notepad.

Starting from bottom to top.

My PC has a Notepad.
I can monitor harvesting and re-call anything failed.
I rarely need to produce missing equipment.
I can create my own sims based on my mech setup.
I can easily duplicate auctions.
My PC has a calculator, I don't need an SHA account to see if I'm being ripped off.
Harvesting is easy.

When I 1st played Mech Hero, I immediately wanted to stop playing once my SHA ran out. I could see that Mech Hero wanted me to spend money as an alternative to inconvenience, I saw the features at 1st as very basic and something I shouldn't have to pay for.

I think SHA should be free. I think it would encourage players to stay and focus on competitive game play, rather than time consuming micromanagement. And once player focus on competition, they'll willingly pay for building que's and resources bumps, repair/re-arm times and perhaps other new payment features, like "Instant Re-arm with 5 credits" or "increased Scanning range for 20 hours for 4 credits"

And if you don't want new players to leave.... I suggest you don't start them off with a free SHA account. You're bringing people into a new game, you let them love it then you pull the rug from under their feet.

That is just my opinion, I share it in hopes of enriching the mech hero fan-base. Please don't ban me for talking about payment features, just delete thread.   :-X

Also, I don't think sitters should be able to send messages from accounts they're sitting for. They can can easily impersonate the account. More care should be taken with this as it is often game-changing and ruins peoples experience.

« Last Edit: February 13, 2016, 07:49:05 PM by Mech-_-Monkey »
My name is Neanderthal Prime.

Enneagon

• SpiderTank
Re: What killed Mech Hero?
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2016, 04:16:12 AM »

My answer to your question would sound somewhat surprising: it is broken and too hard to play.

No, I'm not joking.

And, NO I didn't mean it being hard game (it is not, and even if would, I love hard games),
or be too complex (it is nowhere even close so, and again, I love complex games),
and is really fun when you get to that... (although those moments are few and long between).

But the very act of playing in itself is too hard due to lot of little stupid things. And, gameplay wise, staying in the game at top positions is increasingly hard. And all that is made much more worse by understanding lot of this difficulty is completely artificial and could be avoided, without taking anything from the game, just adding a little.

Most (to not say all) players I have had serious discussions about this agree it is broken in some way, only the exact opinions how exactly differs wildly and contradicts often (what on itself should suggest it is really good game you can play in many different ways), but the feeling is still there, even though the very fact many have invested time that goes in human years (even only counting direct on-line in-game time in some cases) should testify the game can't be that bad, lol.

But the fact it really requires that time from you is clearly one of points it should be broken in some way. And I don't mean simple addiction (little addiction is desired in games, it contribute to the elusive fun-factor), but you really have no much choice if you want to continue after some point. It is rightfully compared to hard drugs often. Time comes it becomes just hard work you have no choice to ignore even if you hate it already just if you want to stay in for the few fun moments that may (or may not) come in some weeks time. Or, have to stay out of the 'real' game anyway; doing less is not really an option (cheating can be little relief, but even that have limits, lol).

Well, that is the hardships of an old top player that keep playing all-or-nothing, but every level have some different kind of torture carefully prepared.

You mention SHA, listing small subset of its features, and that for me touches one of greatest problems beginners face in more than one way.
In one word: Information. Or more precisely lack of it. At times there feeling game hides a lot of important information on purpose (do they hoped to artificially increase perceived skill-factor that way? a broken approach, imho), and lack of any manual don't make it any better, lol.

I call SHA the second third of game interface. The last third remains missing...

And SHA on itself is worth to drop some words about.

Well, for start I may agree that SHA features probably should be free (or part of them, but one sells the other, to the point there no point to split them), or not be showed off at the very start, when it makes little use and most players only notice few of the impressive list of features it consists on anyway. Well, close to anyone notice harvesting, and frankly, that was my selling point of it at first too. But now, I can't imagine playing without it. Seriously, I can't really understand how one can manage 10+ cities without overview, hell, even anything over 3 cities (still I know for fact people do somehow). (For record, you access Overview by little "magnification-glass-over-world" icon in left panel, right from credits icon, it only there if SHA is active, of course).

If devs want to show it off, maybe there should be 'tutorial' task to build second city, and SHA unlock after it, bringing up Overview.aspx at Warehouses tab and a popup showing up you can start transfers from it (and, "Warehouses" should be default tab by default). THAT is the first reason I pay for SHA now. I take that for my main view of game, going back to it anytime I don't do something actively. But you probably wont get it what I'm talking about until you have 5 or more cites, or really, if haven't had 15 ever, and and army that can eat single city maxed cell storage dry in less than 8 hours.
(And yes, even having that army in the first place is already broken, and it breaks game further in many ways. But you have to have it to play the way it is played now).

The next point for me is the player statistics. When you have SHA on any player profile page you see a tiny strange icon next to ((Write message)) button. Clicking on it brings up a popup with some weird graph colorblind people have no chance to read an all other really have to learn how, but once you get sense of it, it is maybe even the most powerful tool here is. Not only you can see activity of players, you can really watch distant events in there, especially combining with other statistics. You can even see player connections if know what to look for. Well, this is clearly not for everyone, and only alliance admids should really feel at home here, but anyone can befit from the information.
(And yes, you really have to watch and combine numbers in different statistic sources to notice major battles taking place, unless you are in one of (at max two) alliances involved. This is very broken, imho.)
(And I should not even expand on how addition of (completely senseless) Honor stat broke this tool to point of unusable in some cases, and that is not addressed in a year or so although was zero-day bug (seriously, I reported that within 6 hours after the 'upgrade' come live) and it really should have trivial one-line fix in the code).

Only now, as third, I will mention multiple simulator upgrades that comes with SHA. And as first in the list, ability to export reports to simulator. One of first things I do, I use my own and watch alliance NPC reports to collect entire list of NPC setups saved in my simulator (And yes, perhaps there could be one-time purchase credit option to get that list?) I then can test against anytime importing my actual units. But, like much anything else, it only stay cool as long you have handful units in your city, it really should have groups to be listed as options in the import units drop down, not only individual units and "All". SHA also increase number of units you can have in sim greatly, but only to about 1/3 of what you would want to understand really large battles anyway.
(And yes, from here I could go on and on for pages long of stuff there is broken or missing in simulator, or about, it immensely helpful and fun in its own right, but also great source of irritation.)

Then, there another SHA popup, called by little icon in coordinates box in map, it shows you global map in a way. It is very broken though, always was, and in latest webkit browsers to the point of unusable, you won't even really get what it is about. While it works it is very helpful tool though, so I will list it as my forth favorite anyway.

There another, if you click on distance number in navigation view (with SHA it becomes link), listing all mech and vehicles times from your current active city to that point. That is extremely useful: the only other way would be, to have unit of desired type in that city and 'query' it by pretending to start a mission, or do some simple math on the coordinates of both points. Unfortunately, the later remains the only way for two arbitrary points neither of with is your city. Imho, one should really not be forced to use external tools for such a simple and frequent question. And, even for what we have, I really had to point it there to way too many players, it could use some little more visibility or alternate access point perhaps.

By the way, I love that ((Produce Missing Equipment)) button. No, I only ever produce Basic Metal Plating and Adaptive Force Fields occasionally, nothing more normally, ever (well, except AB guns), (and chances are in another city anyway) but it gives me list what exactly some (of over hundred at times) units are missing, I also use it to quickly make sure I have all I need before starting arming up (large number of) units with different templates applied. What this popup is missing, is "transfer from ___" choice on it, what would bring you to transfer screen of that selected city directly, with quantities already set in (if there is what needed of course), with that it would be immensely useful tool.

Well, that is my favorites list of SHA features.
There way more, I know there an official SHA feature listing by pankleks somewhere on this forum but I failed to find it in five minutes and it was incomplete anyway, as far I remember.

Most of stuff on forum is outdated or incomplete, or wrong to being with, but here no other source of crucial information.
I could probably write what I would then call "Power-play guide" but really can't promise anything (unless paid for it perhaps, lol, and even then...)

...new payment features, like "Instant Re-arm with 5 credits" ...

Oh, please don't.
Well, cash-machine is just that of course, but One of Big Reasons I still stick around in here is, the only hard limit this game have is on how much cash you can (meaningfully and beneficially) spend on it in any given period of time (and that caps on in less than $5 per week whatever you do) keeping it really fair play in this regard. And while you get some benefit for it, and it may be way more harder to be on the very top without spending a penny, you still can easily be significant player without others ever knowing you play that way.

Well, I know some will rightfully say that inability to cash one way to top is very broken as well, investors first, lol.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2016, 04:32:20 AM by Enneagon »

Dobq

• Wolverine
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2016, 11:59:33 AM »

Enneagon, I read it all ;p:

But the fact it really requires that time from you is clearly one of points it should be broken in some way. And I don't mean simple addiction (little addiction is desired in games, it contribute to the elusive fun-factor), but you really have no much choice if you want to continue after some point. It is rightfully compared to hard drugs often. Time comes it becomes just hard work you have no choice to ignore even if you hate it already just if you want to stay in for the few fun moments that may (or may not) come in some weeks time. Or, have to stay out of the 'real' game anyway; doing less is not really an option (cheating can be little relief, but even that have limits, lol).

That's why I'm making breaks between servers, just to feel free from that addiction, lol.

Well, for start I may agree that SHA features probably should be free (or part of them, but one sells the other, to the point there no point to split them), or not be showed off at the very start, when it makes little use and most players only notice few of the impressive list of features it consists on anyway. Well, close to anyone notice harvesting, and frankly, that was my selling point of it at first too. But now, I can't imagine playing without it. Seriously, I can't really understand how one can manage 10+ cities without overview, hell, even anything over 3 cities (still I know for fact people do somehow). (For record, you access Overview by little "magnification-glass-over-world" icon in left panel, right from credits icon, it only there if SHA is active, of course).

I never had more than 10 cities (6 or 7 most), I never bought SHA, and it's not problem to care at every city for me, I think you're just accustomed to it hardly ;), of course it's helping.

Then, there another SHA popup, called by little icon in coordinates box in map, it shows you global map in a way. It is very broken though, always was, and in latest webkit browsers to the point of unusable, you won't even really get what it is about. While it works it is very helpful tool though, so I will list it as my forth favorite anyway.

True, it's one of most op thing here.

Then... still mods leave this game becuse it was making low profit for them.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2016, 12:01:35 PM by Dobq »

Mech-_-Monkey

• Puma
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2016, 08:42:03 PM »

I learned that early on. I enjoyed the game when it was Micro-management game... then as you build your 4/5/6/7/8th city... it becomes a Macro-management game. 

Luckily, I've found out that my PlayStation 4 web-browser supports Mech Hero... AMAZING. Sitting on my sofa, relaxed watching movies etc while also checking Mech Hero on a 32" HD Tv, every 40mins. It's convenient 
I don't have a smart phone or a tablet so it was hard to manage my cells but now it has become more manageable, I can enjoy it more.... The fact that you can't simply use your PC alone to play this game, makes me agree that it's broken.

I wake up every morning with terrible visions of cells burn because I have to stop playing for 8-12 hours??? So... we have a sit-in system. but that be exploited, heavily.
Here's an example. http://forum.mechhero.com/index.php?topic=3943.0

I think if the sitter system can be nerfed/fixed, then that won't be a problem, by limiting what sitters can do. For example.

-Stop sitters from sending Transports. This will stop sitters from sending cells to their own cities. Or at least limit transport destinations to the account holders cities.
-Stop sitters from sending messages and impersonating the account. They'll do this so they doesn't get reported because it's basically a multi.
The sitter system will not be destroyed by implementing these features. They can still farm NPC's and manage resources but they won't be a proxy multi-account.

Now that I can manage my account more easily, I actually don't care about the current SHA setup, it's fine tbh. Because using mech hero with a PC alone was so energy and time consuming, the mech hero features seemed absolutely neccassary to enjoy the game, but now that I can manage my account while doing other things, I don't feel the need to bitch about the SHA. Try playing without a smart phone, a tablet or anything else that isn't you PC, you'll see what I mean.

Enneagon

• SpiderTank
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2016, 04:07:36 AM »

-Stop sitters from sending Transports. This will stop sitters from sending cells to their own cities. Or at least limit transport destinations to the account holders cities.
-Stop sitters from sending messages and impersonating the account. They'll do this so they doesn't get reported because it's basically a multi.
The sitter system will not be destroyed by implementing these features. They can still farm NPC's and manage resources but they won't be a proxy multi-account.

Well, unfortunately you can't sort it out so easily.
One thing I could agree on, sitters probably should have unavoidable signature "sent by sitter" or something under messages sent, but ideally it should be configurable by account owner.

I don't know your game experience, but I guess you never was in situation when you are under attack in multiple places including by player you know have at least 300 novas, and you can actually defend, and/or counter, each and any of the places by equal force if concentrate and effectively use forces your alliance can provide. You knew it will come for over a week, a lot of long term preparation work has been done (including data gathering and analysis, endless planning and disputes about best course of action, multiple spreadsheets done for this very occasion, and so on and on), now you have to place the plans in motion finally... and arm up hundreds of mechs at the same time; very, very limited time. And result of this day will most probably decide server landscape for rest of it, so stakes are really high.
But you have to be in high level business meeting in this time...
...but you have sitter who is actually free and playing the game in exact same time, and is in course of things no less than you are.
Now what you would want to be restricted for that sitter, and what is the chance you will just handle over the pass if anything at all is?

Rules? I will tell you rude, rules are for losers...

But... IF that can be done by sitter who is legal under the rules, it will be done that way. And in contrary, if there will be need to step outside of rules once it will be done much easier next time, and further out, probably. I better play under more flexible rules that are purposefully violated less. And rules will need to be the same for situation I described, and the trivial case you are so bitching about, when someone is emptying account actually under deletion countdown. Nobody cared about that, ever.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2016, 04:30:53 AM by Enneagon »

Mech-_-Monkey

• Puma
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2016, 11:26:37 PM »

Rules? I will tell you rude, rules are for losers...

But... IF that can be done by sitter who is legal under the rules, it will be done that way. And in contrary, if there will be need to step outside of rules once it will be done much easier next time, and further out, probably. I better play under more flexible rules that are purposefully violated less. And rules will need to be the same for situation I described, and the trivial case you are so bitching about, when someone is emptying account actually under deletion countdown. Nobody cared about that, ever.

Wow, what's your problem? Ever had a civil conversation before?

Enneagon

• SpiderTank
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2016, 11:50:09 PM »

Ask yourself

Mech-_-Monkey

• Puma
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2016, 11:52:13 PM »

How about removing all sitters after an account has been market for deletion?

Mech-_-Monkey

• Puma
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2016, 11:54:07 PM »

Ask yourself

I'm not being rude and confrontational.

Enneagon

• SpiderTank
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2016, 12:22:14 AM »

I'm not being rude and confrontational.

Except if you took single figure of speech much too literally I can't see how I was.

Mech-_-Monkey

• Puma
« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2016, 02:20:14 PM »

Calling me a bitching loser? I suppose you think I can't read. I read very well and I've been reading you for a while now and you've felt threatened ever since I dropped bofh999's name. Why is that? You flipped from being reasonable into a jerk.  

Dobq

• Wolverine
« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2016, 07:19:30 PM »

Why to hell this conversation transformed into such kiddy argue :-\.

Mech-_-Monkey

• Puma
« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2016, 07:29:58 PM »

Why to hell this conversation transformed into such kiddy argue :-\.

Because there's no mod/admin to step in tell me or him that we're wrong or right.

We all have an ego, we 're defensive and that's why the moderation of a forum is so important.

I'm literally begging for the admin to come along and say, "You're wrong, you're right, Thread closed"

meat

• Puma
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: February 25, 2016, 11:07:20 PM »

Current S3; first tournament and end game both started in week 30. Now what is killing mech hero? ::)

Dobq

• Wolverine
« Reply #14 on: February 29, 2016, 04:17:08 PM »

Current S3; first tournament and end game both started in week 30. Now what is killing mech hero? ::)

Yea ;p.
Pages: [1] 2 3