MechHero Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Scanning vs infra points  (Read 2656 times)

furek86

• Wolverine
  • http://bit.ly/wolfpackteaser
    • Email
Scanning vs infra points
« on: August 20, 2014, 11:40:10 AM »

How come can you still scan someone even though they are outside your infra limit? With this in place, it enabled the BIG guys to scan you while the smaller ones can then mass up an attack on you and find out what you have. Intel is everything and to me, this should also be limited.

adamsky

• Administrator
  • Nova
    • Email
Re: Scanning vs infra points
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2014, 11:56:03 AM »

good point

Neo

• translations_ro
  • Nemesis
  • Kill'em with FIRE!
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2014, 12:13:33 PM »

+1

Hulk

• Vulture
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2014, 02:38:16 AM »

yeah, right. I have even better idea. Admins, make the low infra points guyz totally invisible, on a map and in stat too. That will be more fun.
aka TROLOLO, aka ursa major, aka duke nukem, aka KarlssonPĆ„Taket

furek86

• Wolverine
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2014, 08:56:00 AM »

And can we ask for an opinion of someone who is not retarded?

Man, your comment is useless and is a pure butt-hurt. To me, infra limit makes sense on S1, cause otherwise big guys would simply raze smaller guys to the ground without them ever knowing it. But let's say someone is trying to get bigger and have a chance. If you have 1.5k of sats and members in your alliance that are within the infra limit, you can scan and then let your smaller dogs out because they will know what that player has. it's cool to dominate the server from day one. If big guys can still scan smaller guys, it's almost impossible to catch up if you joined a week later. Hence my point about limiting the scanning possibilities. But hey, if you want it so bad, stick a posted note on your screen where my base is, so you won't see it.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2014, 09:47:03 AM by furek86 »

Hulk

• Vulture
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2014, 05:49:04 PM »

Well, right, I have the opposite opinion on infra limit, I find that limit pointless hence my remark. Also I am pretty sure it's never too late to join a server, even S1. At least if you managed to do it before the artis popped up. And nobody usually get nuked for no reason, unless the one enters the party and claims everyone noobs and bitches. No wonder the one gets punched in the face. But even in that situation there are choices to keep playing and there are fat chances to win. Or the ones can crawl and start whining about being treated unjustly. Well, we are the choices we make.

And just FYI, we neither call anyone a dog nor mean it. We are a bunch of a like-minded and playing at will.

aka TROLOLO, aka ursa major, aka duke nukem, aka KarlssonPĆ„Taket

Enneagon

• SpiderTank
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2014, 04:03:47 PM »

Few fast remarks without extended arguments:

- Infra point limit makes sense and is a good thing on s1 (but can break gameplay of classic speed);
- Number of attacks limit does not make sense or anything good;
- Infra points is not ideal device for limits, have little to no relation with real player strength, and can be easily manipulated; but, it is easy to use and understand;
- Scan limit following attack limits by infra points may have sense from theoretic point of view, practical effects may differ;
- Infra point limits bring new concepts into gameplay (in comparison to no-limits), making the limits stronger will exaggerate the effects;
- I personally would totally and endlessly hate such a limit on scan, but that's "just" opinion;

* If you say you can't catch up few weeks on s1 (against players most of who play at best few hours/day) you are effectively saying it pointless to join a server past week #2 or so, and that's just not true. Despite what description say, s1 is easy mode of this game: it fast real-time, extremely long relative-time, have attack limits, far more cells... No place better to play catch-up. Just have a little though about long-term strategy above single-day tactics ;)
« Last Edit: August 23, 2014, 04:08:03 PM by Enneagon »

furek86

• Wolverine
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2014, 10:48:57 PM »

Well, most of your post Enn is just your opinion and argument like "would make no sense" is as good as any. No real evidence to support your opinion was provided and those provided are pretty vague. And I am not being mean here or picking on a simmer :) Just sharing MY opinion. Truth is, scanning is EVERYTHING when it comes to an attack. You would ONLY attack a player without scanning if you knew 100% sure that your army is bigger. Intelligence that sats provide are crucial here and often can make you SEND or RESIGN from attacking. Scanning should also be impossible for big players, because it immediately gives information to the players from the alliance that are with the infra limit. Scan can be a turning point before the battle and if players in the infra range can't get that information themselves, they should not be able to get it from people who can't attack.
Enn & Duke, you'd probably totally and endlessly hate such a limit on scanning, simply because you would most likely be the person who scans, not the person who gets scanned. A simple turn around of roles would make you reconsider I bet.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2014, 10:55:06 PM by furek86 »

Enneagon

• SpiderTank
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2014, 01:30:21 AM »

Yes, there no arguments, and I explicitly stated there will not be, altough I could write a feet long text wall about every point, I had no time nor will then (nor have now).

Yes, you get it why I would hate it, at least by part, but what you seem not to get from even the very few words I post, I said such a limit may HAWE sense, but I'm afraid it will not work towards you hope it should, despite I can see several good arguments in support of it -  just one of: dedicated scanner multis living far under any common AB capable attack limit will become nearly useless.
In the same time big player will lost near any means to distinguish between peaceful neighbors and blody debris thieves that likely would have total impunity; while in reality just ANY player around now will be seen as treat, and killed by any means available, just in case.

Also, it will make infrastructure points control from occasional exercise into an art form.
On s1 you can easily pack 8 novas, 12 ST (and, supposing this new limit, let say 300 sats) in two cities, under 2300 (maybe even 1800 or less) points, without any help (and probably even much more if you playing active). And it is not theory, I did that myself previous s1 round, then hold it on stand-by for two months till the endgame.
And yes, 8 novas and 12 ST is completely enough to hit just any NPC and have virtually limitless income and no restrictions in equipment (well, except AB weapons, you will need someone else to sell those to you).
Now, how you expect any normal, casual player (for whom you suddenly advocating here) to compete with this little monstrosity, even without help of intel from any competent (and thus, expectantly big) player?
« Last Edit: August 25, 2014, 01:56:34 AM by Enneagon »