MechHero Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Ridiculously BIG  (Read 3203 times)

Enneagon

• SpiderTank
Ridiculously BIG
« on: February 22, 2014, 02:31:24 AM »

So, I do not actually know what the records of the once glorious past was, but, as far my knowledge goes, this may pretend to be the biggest battle of MH history, but clearly to be one of.

TROLOLO vs Rowdy Crew, round two:

624 units on the board,
339 novas for the attacker,
282 novas and 3 defense turrets on the defense
(well, we could easily put more in the defense, even double the number without much stretch, but there hard to see a point to do that...)

10,000 rounds in, the battle is still just about to start, only defense is taking early loses from the double line of 7x KP on the front of attacking army:

25,000 rounds, half the way trough, spot the difference:

and, the final by (expected) time out:

Yes, the battle is extremely unexciting to watch, shots are few and far between... and it resulted in all of 74 kills, attacker loses 32 and defense 42 (correct me if I miscount by few), but must note, 22 of attacker lost novas were those armed with 7xKP...

It would be intersecting to contemplate why this clash was such a ridiculous fail, there are valuable lessons to learn, but the war is still ongoing ;)

Links to full-sized images:

« Last Edit: February 22, 2014, 02:57:55 AM by Enneagon »

Hulk

• Vulture
Re: Ridiculously BIG
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2014, 03:06:43 AM »

I had 342 nova not 339, you miscalculated.  ;) And for a short period my total was 359 nova + 29 spiders (including homefront) with unit's cell consumption 887k per hour.
I agree it was a mistake to put KP nova in front. I'm still a rookie. if you take a look on our previous battles I never used it bfore. i noticed you guys (gogu specifically) use such formation and it worked so I decided to give it a try.  Probably, because of a big amount of mech-s on a field the game put both sides close to each other, so this time it failed.
The war is over my friend, it has already been over for few days. I just wanted to figure out what limits can be reached in the game before I quit.  :)

aka TROLOLO, aka ursa major, aka duke nukem, aka KarlssonPåTaket

Enneagon

• SpiderTank
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2014, 05:35:40 AM »

I had 342 nova not 339, you miscalculated.  ;)
I am speaking about numbers in current attack (quite sure about them, all adds up as it should, just recount to be sure), not your total (I had no clear idea, you have quite few sats defending, and so far away I was lazy to scan)

Probably, because of a big amount of mech-s on a field the game put both sides close to each other, so this time it failed.
The visual compression of the field is just visual, the real (mathematical) distance between forces is usual.

There was two errors that added up - you put not one, but two KP lines in front, so they formed one, tight line that not let shorter range units to come try; and, you ordered them to escape (at 50% I suppose, it hard to see details in that crowd), since the others crowded behind, there was nowhere to run, so, they just stopped to fire, turn around, and stay there until get destroyed. And other units get in to firing range only after.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2014, 05:55:08 AM by Enneagon »

Hulk

• Vulture
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2014, 07:59:32 AM »

right, 342 on the move, but 3 of them were fake. And your sats wouldn't break through. I had more than you back then.

Hulk

• Vulture
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2014, 05:48:32 PM »

... we could easily put more in the defense, even double the number without much stretch, but there hard to see a point to do that...
you, guys, so damn partial to bragging :) of course you supposed to put more, it's one against 26 in that attack and you had plenty of time to get ready. But  the statement that you "COULD easily put more in the defense", is not quite true. As i said before you had a lot of time (about 12 hours) therefore I assume you put in def EVERYTHING you were able to accumulate. And it was more than 1k and less than 1.2k mech-s spread among 4 attacked cities. Even our small league of three were able to accumulate about 550 nova at some point. once again, If I was you I wouldn't rant that, having the eightfold advantage in manpower you were able to put only as twice as many mech-s.
And for gosh sake, please, be precise, you "COULD easily put more in the defense" if you KNEW or merely HAD a GUESS where my real attack was landing at.

Enneagon

• SpiderTank
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2014, 06:23:45 PM »

And for gosh sake, please, be precise, you "COULD easily put more in the defense" if you KNEW or merely HAD a GUESS where my real attack was landing at.
This time we had quite accurate estimate of what may be coming (by pure math as upper bound) and, we were sure where we will assemble the main defense, by other factors, not only the guess where you might want to come, and, it was sure that you want a fight, so you may want to attack the place that may be most likely be defended, it all added up in better than 50/50 bet of were the main attack will land, despite the only 25% strong chance.

And it was indeed not all we had, not only because it is merely impossible to gather indeed all in loose group we are, not only because there were attacks outgoing at the same time, and, we had recent non-combat loses as several players starved or dismantled mechs out of boredom... the point is, that was more than enough, and, our main point of discussions in preparation was, what the smallest number will be enough to freeze the battle for sure, there was no desire at all to put in all and everything.

And then, most of us play only few hours per day really actively, and try to keep army numbers in what can be easily supported without much work.

...dam you again hear me bragging, while I merely stating facts. :/

Maybe should sorry for my English, I don't speak this language at all, can only write thanks to technical tools, so can't guaranty (nor even imagine) the tone and nuanced intonations someone could read from what I compose from guessed words.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2014, 06:34:57 PM by Enneagon »

furek86

• Wolverine
  • http://bit.ly/wolfpackteaser
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2014, 06:49:57 PM »

DAFUQ! I am too old for this...but I am coming back for the next S3 :)

Hulk

• Vulture
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2014, 12:23:28 AM »

S3 is painfully slow

Dobq

• Wolverine
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2014, 09:24:30 PM »

painfully slow? I like slow servers, yes, I am a bit too old for this...

but I want server what is more slooooow than s3, for this epic battles 8)

Enneagon

• SpiderTank
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2014, 11:58:33 PM »

but I want server what is more slooooow than s3, for this epic battles 8)
By several effects adding up, it is exactly the fast s1 where this epic battles can be created more easily:

1) if you account for the speed, on s1 you have actually more time to do things, count in nova production times or as how many laps you can run around the entire map, the s1 is longer than s3

2) since crystal and gas production is increased 5x (but cell usage is not), it is extremely easy to run premium transform, and so you generally have more total cells on s1

3) production times is shorter, but cell usage the same, so you can build fast and float above starvation just long enough for the battle; then after, quickly dismantle the excess mechs you didn't lost...

4) storage space is increased on s1, you can have more cells stored up in one place

5) the same is true about inventory warehouses, and full rearm of 90+ novas at a time need specialized city even on s1, on s3 that may be quite some logistics exercise...

6) due to shorter travel times and increased production you feel more rich on s1, although your mechs may move to hit NPCs, and your harvesters pick up debris bit more of the total time on s3 than on s1 (unless you're hyperactive and sleepless, or have sitters that indeed play for you), there still that feeling of abundance on s1, against feeling of scarceness on s3.

All that said, if I return for one more round, it may rather be s3 than s1... just because... well, I need to do something else too, sometimes ;)
« Last Edit: February 26, 2014, 12:13:10 AM by Enneagon »