Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: NPC-s  (Read 5414 times)

deathpact

• Raptor
Re: NPC-s
« Reply #15 on: January 28, 2014, 06:49:52 PM »

Well I am playing at the speed server and I can not understand how it can be speed server if I have to wait 14 hours to get an npc to kill.

What you say true or not its absurd.

verkli

• Puma
« Reply #16 on: January 29, 2014, 07:35:39 PM »

@Enneagon : there are 4096 areas on map, so if one refreshed in every 60 seconds, what he said, it will be 68 hours for entire map. thats impossible. Im really sure there is a bug in refreshing routine, or this is a feature. If i have only 0 or 1 NPC, the other 3 or 2 spawns really fast, that 60 secs can be true. So the routine refresh the areas enough often.

I can kill all NPC-s so its not a really big problem to me now (i hate it anyway), but tiny and mediate players suck it, like @deathpact. If he has two big NPC-s, they stop him for hours, maybe for entire day. This is absolutely bad.

Dobq

• Wolverine
« Reply #17 on: January 29, 2014, 08:04:16 PM »

I can not complain that this problem occurred to me, heh, I have another problem, I often see that in the description of the location of the NPC says: "disappears for 00:00:00" the location disappears until the moment when it comes to some attack, heh, receives then a message "wrong mission objective", in any case, such a spectrum-NPC takes the place of actual NPC :(

Enneagon

• SpiderTank
« Reply #18 on: January 29, 2014, 10:04:17 PM »

@verkli
Game engine generates NPCs all the time. Every x seconds it selects a map area and adds NPCs there. I'm not sure at the moment how often exactly, but it's at least once per 60 sec.
(emphasis mine)

I think, it is much less than 60s for the speed server, it could be seconds for s3, but on s1 is more like 60ms... but it makes sense and could create observed behavior.

...but tiny and mediate players suck it, like @deathpact. If he has two big NPC-s, they stop him for hours, maybe for entire day. This is absolutely bad.

Completely agree. I suffered from that myself, had slow start, kept my NPCs under control, but then, bam, bit bigger neighbor placed city on my panel and I was forced to go really far to hit anything for two days, despite I was able of hitting 4k already, and 16k not yet come, even for his size.

@Enneagon : there are 4096 areas on map, so if one refreshed in every 60 seconds, what he said, it will be 68 hours for entire map. thats impossible. Im really sure there is a bug in refreshing routine, or this is a feature. If i have only 0 or 1 NPC, the other 3 or 2 spawns really fast, that 60 secs can be true. So the routine refresh the areas enough often.

It don't need to work with 4096 areas, it have nothing to do with unpulated areas ever. 

The key is, areas are not refreshed in any fixed order, every time a random area is drawn for refresh, and only from a list of areas that need to be refreshed.
In extreme case it can refresh one and the same area all the time, and never visit any other. And, not that extreme, but that is what likely happens, some areas have (much) higher probability to be refreshed than others.

The error is in distribution of those probabilities, it is way to steep.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2014, 10:09:29 PM by Enneagon »

Enneagon

• SpiderTank
« Reply #19 on: January 29, 2014, 10:22:37 PM »

I can not complain that this problem occurred to me, heh, I have another problem, I often see that in the description of the location of the NPC says: "disappears for 00:00:00" the location disappears until the moment when it comes to some attack, heh, receives then a message "wrong mission objective", in any case, such a spectrum-NPC takes the place of actual NPC :(

I think there maybe is some discrepancy of the real clock on the server and what is displayed in the browser, or it just have some delay before gets removed. Could happen, even most likely, the same routine that adds them also removes them, and NPCs with 00:00:00 on clock still need to wait for area to be refreshed, in random order.

I had hit such NPCs successfully, but yes, risk exists the mission will not find the target anymore.

deathpact

• Raptor
« Reply #20 on: January 30, 2014, 08:34:22 PM »

I got bored of waiting and attacked a 6.4k npc with 10k army and got my ass kicked, lost so much but at least I got a new 2nd spawn :/
Pages: 1 [2]