MechHero Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Can the game be made easier for touchscreens  (Read 2688 times)

traz

• Athlas
Can the game be made easier for touchscreens
« on: April 12, 2013, 03:20:18 AM »

I haven't played in awhile was thinking about restarting but I've switched all my hardware to touchscreens and it's a pain on mechhero. Touchscreen will soon be the main systems used by everyone.

furek86

• Wolverine
  • http://bit.ly/wolfpackteaser
    • Email
Re: Can the game be made easier for touchscreens
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2013, 08:00:50 AM »

upgrade your fingers dude!

adamsky

• Nova
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2013, 09:51:28 AM »

It would be perfect to create separate UI for touchscreens, but we'd propably need another person to focus on this task only.

For now we can only try to solve most important issues, but since we don't play, you have to tell us what to correct in a first place.

Enneagon

• SpiderTank
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2013, 07:38:30 PM »

For a start, some basic things that must be well known, yet forget frequently:
 - there no hover event on touch screen,  every place it used either do not work at all (usual) or have weird effects on tap;
 - yes, there also no click as such, it closely emulated by tap in most cases, but not the same;
 - there no double-click, as double-tap defaults to zoom.

What it means for this game - none of that additional information given in yellow tool-tips on hover can be ever seen by touchscreen user, also you should click on map square and enter its page to get any info about it.

Unit List "experimental" view is the case where on hover block opens on single tap, but to get to rearm the mech you must hit the tiny gear icon link in the top corner (remember there no double-click)

But overall I would tell, this game isn't the worst case, it pretty much playable, only painfully.

Lots and lots of tiny tiny buttons and links packed as close as possible... and you try to hit them with fingertip that may be as big as 1/32 of screen... (for someone else maybe even bigger)

And, ah, the countless reloads! On mobile network each of them can take from split second (few lucky times) to as long as half a minute, literally - completely randomly, regardless of nominal connection speed.
Try to count number of page reloads happening when you refit a mech, and you may grasp why they sometimes actually rearm faster than I am able to refit them, lol.

gamaset

• Wolverine
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2013, 10:37:11 AM »

not sure if I'm the only one but i have trouble scrolling in mech reports and active scans

Enneagon

• SpiderTank
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2013, 03:57:46 PM »

Scrolling depends on browser used heawily. In mobile Chrome it almost as good as on desktop, also not bad with Opera (but inputs are double pain there), mobile Firefox scrolls weirdly, it is almost impossible to pan map view in it... In default Android browser most area scrolls do not work, at least on my device.

Another hint: every time you use 100% for width or height, set a reasonable min- value also, on super-small screens with strange proportions it leads to weird and annoying effects otherwise. Of course, that in turn may require to scroll area AND page to view all info, but most areas work that way already, and that's usually better than opportunity to scroll inner scroll area out of screen compleatly.