MechHero Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: How to build an effective alliance and keep it alive?  (Read 4766 times)

Robert1980

• translations_de
  • Puma
How to build an effective alliance and keep it alive?
« on: September 18, 2011, 07:21:10 PM »

My dear Mech Heros,

I have a question for you? How to build an effective alliance and keep it alive?

I have seen some of our active alliances and I found they all have more or less the same problems. They consist of a few high active members, some medium active members and of a huge number of members we know nothing about because they are quiet, very slow, not responding, not helping. I guess some of you can agree to this diagnosis.

The Shoutbox is a very useful tool. But only the "usual" members will answer, if any.

Broadcasting is also a great invention. Important messages are distributes fast and to all. It is very useful to see, who has read the message and who has not.

I also invest a good deal into the creation and the support of external alliance forums. This is important to provide a long term communication basis. A good place to learn about some basic tools and tactics, too. Experienced members often try to mentor neewbies.

Still, I haven't found a way to create an efficient alliance, yet. We have all the tools, all the knowledge and all the time... but using this... brings not the wanted results. I need more leadership skills and I need to know more about motivation. I am looking for a better way of organizing and a smart way to get communication going.

What are your (general) experiences with forming and keeping an alliance? I am talking about leadership and vision.

Some of you might have an advice for me. I hope to start here a interessting discussion. Please add your comment.

Thank you.
They were never defeated, they were only killed.

Gray Death

• Nova
  • We, who are about to die, salute you!
    • Cursed Legion
Re: How to build an effective alliance and keep it alive?
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2011, 07:48:49 PM »

1) The alliance's name should be something that sticks in your head.

2) The alliance needs a sense of unity and camaraderie.

3) Be honest with everyone in the alliance and take the good of the alliance over the good of your own account.

4) Do your best to generate a "culture" within the alliance. (An emblem, a set of pics for forum signatures,  an alliance description that has an epic feel to it, etc.)

5) Stick by your members. If someone starts farming your smaller members, set the larger ones to defending them and attacking the farmer with overwhelming force. Don't discount the smaller members just because they are small. Some of the greatest players I've ever known started out in the legion as tiny 300 point players getting farmed to death by the bigger players around them.

As I think of more, I'll post again.

Good luck, Robert.

Robert1980

• translations_de
  • Puma
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2011, 09:27:40 PM »

1) The alliance's name should be something that sticks in your head...

Something like:
- "Broadsword Legion"
- "Hell's Black Aces"
- "Mobile Fire"

2) The alliance needs a sense of unity and camaraderie...

This is interessting. The sense of this game is to win this game, right? So, the sense of any alliance must support this general sense. But I think any alliance can give this a special focus:

- Mercenaries
- Traders / Weapons Dealer
- Headhunters
- Miners / Ressources provider

3) Be honest with everyone in the alliance and take the good of the alliance over the good of your own account...

Very true. I would like to stress this point.

For an active player it is mandatory to support his friends, even he has to take some disadvantages. I do my very best to follow this idea.

- sending ressources / euipment for small money or even for free
- protection / coordination / cooperation
- advice / discussion

But all this must be accepted. Sounds easy? It is not! Some members are very hard to reach. If they do not want any of this (ok, maybe protection they want for sure), they will take no benefit. Even writing to every single member might not be 100% successful to get to everyone. What I do not understand is: There is so much support, why not using it? In my experience there are only few - too few - who take a benefit from the already available support.

4) Do your best to generate a "culture" within the alliance. (An emblem, a set of pics for forum signatures,  an alliance description that has an epic feel to it, etc.)...

A story behind? The Battle Tech universe is big. I am sure it is possible to borrow some good stories and background information. Other origins for a general picture of an alliance is also an option.

5) Stick by your members. If someone starts farming your smaller members, set the larger ones to defending them and attacking the farmer with overwhelming force. Don't discount the smaller members just because they are small. Some of the greatest players I've ever known started out in the legion as tiny 300 point players getting farmed to death by the bigger players around them.

I really try to follow this. I want everyone strong and active. No matter how and when he / she started. I know players who startet late with only few points but they are active and they will be good in time. I am ready to support any of this people.

Nevertheless, if players go from yellow / orange to red without any notice, without a sitter, I do not understand the reason why they are in an alliance. They can be farmed as single players as well as members in an alliance.

Here I see an important task for any alliance admin. I think it is mandytory to kick any member who did bring his / her alliance into danger by not organizing support in time of abstence. Better be small and active.
They were never defeated, they were only killed.

Gray Death

• Nova
    • Cursed Legion
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2011, 02:59:12 PM »

A back story for the alliance shouldn't be necessary. After all, this is an RTS game, not a hard core RPG. lol

adamsky

• Nova
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2011, 03:22:11 PM »

I usually stick to those rules:

1. Cooperation is the key.
It doesn't matter if player is big or small, it doesn't matter if you control your area or you're suffering from heavy attacks. If you have a problem, you need to tell us about it so we can help. If you're doing fine, you have to help those who need your support. If player doesn't want to cooperate, doesn't answer to messages and rewquests - kick him.

2. Alliance is in fact an army (or a military squad).
No democracy and no "council". Alliance needs a leader (or few leaders) and members of the alliance should trust this leader. Ofcourse it's good to have more people in leadership so you can set someone as a diplomat or a recruiter of defensive coordinator. Still people need to know who is giving orders, who should they contact in case of trouble, etc.

3. If you get attacked - respond.
War will come to you sooner and later. Keeping head low and hoping that noone will notice you can be a good tactic sometimes, but it has it's limits. You can't lead to situation where you alliance is marked as "alliance of farms" by others. Organize defences, attack those who try to farm you. Make sure others will think twice before launching attacks against any of your members.

Neo

• translations_ro
  • Nemesis
  • Kill'em with FIRE!
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2011, 09:28:52 PM »

I couldn't have said it better, Adam.

Itwasmyidea

• SpiderTank
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2011, 06:34:33 PM »

.......and also dont follow an inept leadership.....very important... ;D

adamsky

• Nova
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2011, 01:55:21 PM »

.......and also dont follow an inept leadership.....very important... ;D
Exactly. :)

I was in a very good alliance once. We made a system we called "democratic dictatorship". For each round of the game we were choosing one of us to be leader of the alliance. Everyone was listening to his orders, but if we see things are not going in the right direction, we could always ask him to change his actions. If leader was good and he wanted to be our king again, he was leading us for the next round. If leader was bad or didn't have time (being a leader requires more time than just playing), we were choosing new person to be our leader for the next round.

Basicly our leader was a dictator for as long as we see his dictatorship is good for us.

One more thing:
It's very important to make sure communication also goes from leadership to simple soldier. Every member of the alliance should know what is going on, why do we have a war with somebody, if alliance has some long-term plans, etc. If simple player doesn't really know what is the whole alliance doing, he will propably lose interest. It's a common situation that members of leadership talk to each other and neglect smaller players.

Every member of the alliance should have a feeling that he is part of something bigger.

Itwasmyidea

• SpiderTank
« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2011, 05:56:31 PM »

Every member of the alliance should have a feeling that he is part of something bigger.

smaller alliance numbers will encourage that, being a member of the vigilantes the small players were unimportant, they just got free gifts now and again, within a smaller alliance structure they may have to 'prove' their worth, this i see as an encouragement to pvp.
I was a vigilante admin, i must have kicked over 30 players for various reasons, we also wouldnt let small players in until they had 'value'.
In a smaller alliance you can support the smaller guys, a large alliance there are too many of them, not enough support to go round, hence the numbers that quit.

Gray Death

• Nova
    • Cursed Legion
« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2011, 12:29:43 AM »

I've experimented with several methods for alliance organization. From a loose group of friends with common goals all the way to a rigid militaristic ranking system. The best bet ended up being somewhere in the middle. In the SB, our admins and basic members treat each other as equals and friends. EVERYONE has broadcast rights. And it's made clear to anyone joining that their point level is irrelevant. What matters to us in recruiting is attitude and intelligence.