MechHero Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Should vacation mode be implemented?

Yes, focusing on short periods - bussy day at work, or weekend hangover;)
Yes, but focusing on longer periods - I'm leaving for 2 weeks of vacations
No, it's not required - as you have sitters. It might be abused

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Vacation mode  (Read 10546 times)

Cthulhu

• Wolverine
Re: Vacation mode
« Reply #15 on: August 02, 2011, 12:09:22 AM »

It is only completely useless to one type of player. And this one type of player can use sitters instead.
Don't like my novels, or my opinion? Who are you again?

Echelon

• Puma
« Reply #16 on: August 02, 2011, 12:23:03 AM »

It is only completely useless to one type of player. And this one type of player can use sitters instead.

Sitters are good to have some cover for the hours you need to work/sleep/eat/go outside/have sex etc.
Vacation mode is good when you get the hell out of town for a couple of weeks to relax with your girlfriend/wife or on a work related trip that keeps you away from this amazing virtual reality... But i cannot expect you (a simmer in a war game) to understand what most of the players talk about... If you wanna play merchant and keep your head away from wars find a Tycoon type game and play it till the world ends...

Cthulhu

• Wolverine
« Reply #17 on: August 02, 2011, 12:42:21 AM »

It seems my opinion was not taken as expected.

I retract my original post and the one thereafter:D

So is there only one way to play this game then? I asked earlier how to play this game, and no one came up with any answers then. So I play the only way I know how and the only way I will continue to play with the current set up as it is. I run the simulator, and know I cannot defeat any specific NPC in my area in an on-going daily routine. So why would I build big cell sucking mechs that use 8K, 12K and 15K cells per day each to sit in my base to be destroyed, or use them for farming when I cannot possible farm 15K cells per mech per day in the area I am in presently.

Therefore, I trade. I get to be the nice guy to everyone. I am providing a service. It is good to know my trading services are getting around. Have we done some business :D Want to be my friend Triny? I can hook you up ;p

If there is surely only one way to play this game, then starting vacation mode should freeze the account.

Echelon

• Puma
« Reply #18 on: August 02, 2011, 01:11:43 AM »

I'll answer you in private so we wont go off topic any further...

Cthulhu

• Wolverine
« Reply #19 on: August 02, 2011, 01:29:18 AM »

I brought it back on topic. And I got some free advertising in too :)

Looking forward to your reply,

Cthulhu

adamsky

• Administrator
  • Nova
    • Email
« Reply #20 on: August 02, 2011, 01:42:12 PM »

Being sim or not is not about your power cells income. Being sim is a state of mind. Negative cells only show your activity. Player who have build a huge army thanks to exploring NPCs and doesn't really know how to use it or gives up after first lost battle is a sim for me. On the other hand side I've seen mid-sized players succesfully attacking much bigger targets with their 20K army. For me they are not sims, even if their cell production is not negative.

With current game construction freezing an account is not an option.

New servers have a new balance and so far we don't see players running at -100K. Ofcourse situation will change towards the end of the game, but the problem should be much smaller than on old S1. Most players will be able to survive if only they spread Mechs among all their cities and prepare some cell reserves. Additionally we were thinking about "Premium vacation" mode. It would cost some credits, but engine would automatically transfer gas and crystals to cells in case of starvation.

Anyway... this topic is about length. If vacation mode should be for regular 2 week trip or rather for busy weekend.

Echelon

• Puma
« Reply #21 on: August 02, 2011, 05:11:02 PM »

With current game construction freezing an account is not an option.

This way you encourage mediocrity...
I wanna work my way to the top but i also want to enjoy some time away to relax (1 or 2 weeks usually, for the week-end i can find a sitter or two so it's not a problem)

Most players will be able to survive if only they spread Mechs among all their cities and prepare some cell reserves. Additionally we were thinking about "Premium vacation" mode. It would cost some credits, but engine would automatically transfer gas and crystals to cells in case of starvation.

Make it so cells get transferred automatically from the other cities and transformation occurs before starvation - this would be acceptable. Otherwise just scrap this feature.

Sydin

• Puma
« Reply #22 on: August 02, 2011, 06:54:14 PM »

I think vacation mode is a good idea, but if it just stops attacks and allows resources to continue then it is really more like protection mode that you can activate any time.

1.  Big attack coming that you can't defend?  Turn on vacation mode.

2.  Your army is destroyed?  Turn on vacation mode to avoid being farmed or AB'ed.  After accumulating resources, queue up production of a few mechs.  Turn vacation mode off when you have a new army built and armed.

3.  Collecting MBBs to build next city and don't want to be attacked while vulnerable to losing them?  Turn on vacation mode.

Problem 1 could be solved by not allowing someone to activate vacation mode when an attack is coming, but then what happens when you are about to leave for vacation and someone is attacking you from several hours away?  If the devs made vacation mode freeze resources, production, and research, then problems 2 and 3 could be avoided.  It sounds like the devs can't do that, so how could they make vacation mode useful for actual periods of inactivity and not just as a protection shield?

Cthulhu

• Wolverine
« Reply #23 on: August 02, 2011, 10:56:19 PM »

Sydin,most of these concerns have been, as far as I read them, addressed in the original post.

For example, if you go into vacation mode, all incoming attacks are still completed. You cannot avoid them.

But as for your concerns about going into vacation mode so you can complete a few MBB's more, or to produce a few mechs more, or a few more weapons to arm those mechs, I would have to think the second you go into vacation mode, all production would be cancelled. This in itself would mean that once in vacation mode, it would not be able to be turned off until the designated time elapsed. Otherwise players could use the production line to hide all resources, then use vacation mode to cancel it and get all resources back. Or, if you are producing anything, then you cannot go into vacation mode at all. This would require some planning on your part, if though you actually were going on vacation at a predetermined time.

It seems to me, the more this is discussed the more logical it is to have a long term vacation mode, rather than a few short ones. Less possible abuse that way.

adamsky

• Administrator
  • Nova
    • Email
« Reply #24 on: August 03, 2011, 11:33:19 AM »

This way you encourage mediocrity...
Each concept of vacation mode gives certain possibility to abuse the system. Ofcourse we can add tons of limitations, but the more limitations we give, the less usable the system is. We are eliminating those solutions that open biggest possibilities to use vacation mode to something else than vacations.

Freezing account means that you can freeze an army of any size and unfreeze it when it's needed (for a war or for endgame). I really don't like this idea... I think it's much worse than starting vacation to protect ongoing production. To prevent this, we'd have to set fixed length: when you start vacation, you have to set exact date when it ends with absolutely no possibility to change this decission. Ofcourse all players will hate it. You can get back from vacation earlier/later, you can make a mistake and put a wrong length, you can accidently start vacation (just to check it) and freeze your account for days, etc. So we will have a system that is good for few players on the server with limitations hated by everyone.

But as for your concerns about going into vacation mode so you can complete a few MBB's more, or to produce a few mechs more, or a few more weapons to arm those mechs, I would have to think the second you go into vacation mode, all production would be cancelled.
Cancelling production is not an option. I think the best solution would be to simply freeze all production.

Thats how I see it: freeze production, send back all reinfs, don't allow new attacks/scans to be send, resource income without any change, possibility to transfer other resources to cells as premium option for most active players.

It seems to me, the more this is discussed the more logical it is to have a long term vacation mode, rather than a few short ones. Less possible abuse that way.
I also think it should be for longer trips. It's not a big problem to find a sitter or replacement for 2 days. Finding someone for 2 weeks is much harder.

Lucius

• Raptor
« Reply #25 on: August 12, 2011, 12:31:47 PM »

Perhaps to address people using as a defense mechanism, or as a reaction to . . .anything, require that vacation mode be set-up in advance. Perhaps one needs to 'notify' the server of a vacation 24 or 48 hrs in advance, and this could become public in the same way that it would be when one is actively in vacation mode.

To put it in story, perhaps there is some device that creates a field around the city which does not allow anything to pass through it, but it requires the attention of all producing/researching facilities (save for those responsible for resource gathering), and in order for this field to be activated, it needs to gather enough energy from *insert place here, ground maybe?* which requires a certain amount of time to prepare. It could be a component of a command center, and perhaps even a building level requirement, as the command center is centrally located and connected with all other buildings in the city.

vladiano

• Vulture
« Reply #26 on: December 15, 2011, 04:05:57 PM »

A premium vacation-mode feature sounds great!

Neo

• translations_ro
  • Nemesis
  • Kill'em with FIRE!
« Reply #27 on: April 28, 2012, 04:18:57 PM »

Cleanup time! Chop chop

let's kill some spambots

milybrown47

• Raptor
    • Email
« Reply #28 on: November 13, 2013, 05:00:47 PM »

I think holiday method is a wise decision, but if it just prevents strikes and allows sources to proceed then it is really more like security method that you can stimulate any moment.
Pages: 1 [2]