MechHero Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8

Author Topic: Brainstorming Suggestions Here!  (Read 30596 times)

AntiLogic

• Raptor
Brainstorming Suggestions Here!
« on: May 15, 2011, 09:14:42 PM »

I've read in other posts of this forum that developers are interested in making this game a total war between Alliances, but this game seems to be a bigger player bullying smaller ones...

Some ideas I got from playing similar games and from careful thought are:

1. It would be better if joining an alliance give an immediate bonus to the player, especially the newbies (like me, hehehe). One suggestion could be giving all players that join an Alliance 1 credit per day (or per week, depending on the game dev's plans). Also, cutting resource cost of Exchange Post or transport vehicles by 50% or 75% when the player belongs to an alliance would be a great push towards game economy.

2. Limit the number of Alliances. If there are hundreds of them in the game, there is a great chance that the majority of those alliances will not be powerful enough to face the older or better organized alliances due to the small number of participants. The game mechanics should give bonuses to the alliance if certain milestones of members were reached, like free resources or more support vehicles to the alliance capital.

Also, giving similar bonuses (free resources, production bonuses, credits, etc) when an alliance declares war against another AND sucessfully attack/defend another faction should make the game more dynamic and interesting.

To make the war more common, an end-game criteria should be the relative score of an alliance in respect to all others. I think that destroying cities' infrastructure and mechs lowers the player score and the alliance score overall, so there is room in the game mechanics for one alliance overcome another. If an alliance have more than 50% or 70% of the combined server score, something like an end-game clock should start.

3. From all games I played with similar mechanics of MechHero, if a player enter 1 or 2 weeks after the game clock starts, it is a sure desistance a few days later. If a player starting to build it's city suffers a heavy attack, it would be very difficult to become competitive again. Giving specific roles to players depending on their total gameplay time and/or score should help that.

Since I provided a trigger for end-game, I want to see a nice use for Antimatter, hehehe.
I thought in creating a Antimatter ICBM game feature. Also the system I planned give special roles for players. I'm presuming that only alliances are able to make the Antimatter buildings,

The the ICBM or the Anti-ICBM missiles should be built in specific buildings that holds only one missile at a time. But the missiles are built by mounting pre-made components, like 10 of them, in a way that would be impossible for one player build one missile from scratch in a reasonable amout of time.

Players with more score/gameplay time (like more than 50% of top scorer points) will be able to make those parts and send to another player that will build the nuke/anti-nuke. And only the 3 (or just a few of) top scorers of the alliance with the proper buildings are able to build Antimatter Warheads. The nuke/anti-nuke should be equally difficult to build, and remembering the score end-game trigger, only the nuke will give permanent score in order to force the players to build more nukes than anti-nukes.

Using players' score as reference, players in an alliance should have a special role like:

a) the top scorer of the alliance is the Commander of the alliance. Depending on how big the alliance is, he will receive some transport vehicles so he could help other players more frequently. I know that only using the score as a parameter will make several Commander changes during the gameplay, but I'm trying to reward the most dedicated player of that alliance;

b) the players with score higher than 80% of the Commander score and the Commander itself could build 1 Antimatter ICBM Nuke at a time or 1 Anti-ICBM missile

c) the players with score lower than 80% and higher than 40% of the Commander score are able to build the parts of the Nuke and the Anti-Nuke

d) the players with score lower than 40% of the Commander score are able to make Recon Mech's and recon/sabotage missions. The Recon Mechs cost the same as Reaper, but they do not engage in battles. They are used to gather info about a city and to prevent enemy Recon Mechs from doing the same thing.
Besides that, they can destroy/detonate a nuke built in a enemy city. This will change how the satellites work (They will only capable to detect if a nuke was lauched, where it will land an guide the anti-nuke missile), but will force the alliances to keep low score/late sign in players among their forces.
Unless other players help this player to develop his score, he will be always making Recon's, but will never build a nuke part or a nuke...

Whew... I talked too much! But it is a brainstorm, anyway. I hope these ideas are useful to the game developers.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2011, 11:35:52 AM by adamsky »

adamsky

• Administrator
  • Nova
    • Email
Re: Brainstorming Suggestions Here!
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2011, 11:35:34 AM »

I suggesto to make it official brainstorm thread.

Please, stay on topic - this thread will be moderated!

AntiLogic

• Raptor
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2011, 01:36:21 PM »

Nice Adamsky!, hehehe

On with the brainstorm...

I read in some posts and talked about the weapon mechanics with alliance comrades.

I think a minor tweak on weapon range will make some of the first available weapons more effective.

The idea is to make the long range weapons have a not-so-minimal range, i mean, if a Precision Laser Rifle have 135 of max range, the minimum range should be around 70 units or so. Mechs that were able to minimize the distance (and survived all turns until reach the sniper) could attack with impunity. Even the LMG could be used to hit that ******g sniper, cheap and fast produced punishment, hehehe

This way, another tactic besides equiping armor could counteract the snipers. And a more careful attack plan must be taken into account to protect the snipers.

Another thing Adamsky... I know that it would be difficult to give a feedback about all the ideas we will give here, the only things I can imagine is to choose the best ideas of the month, or separate the suggestions in short term possible update and long term update, depending on the complexity of the implementation of the suggestion. This kind of activities from you, game developers, certainly will encourage more ideas.

If the ideas get too crazy, giving some constraints to us would help to direct our creative efforts.

(I know I've written a giant text block before, hehehe... I will have one idea per post now)
« Last Edit: May 18, 2011, 01:51:33 PM by AntiLogic »

adamsky

• Administrator
  • Nova
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2011, 02:13:18 PM »

I'd like this topic to be more a container for ideas that are something more than a fix for current version.

Discussion about those ideas can be moved to other topics and best ideas from other topics can be copied here.

Some of ideas you presented will propably be moved to other topics and deleted here.

adamsky

• Administrator
  • Nova
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2011, 03:47:04 PM »

Covert Ops
New building or addition to radar station. Lets you train Operatives to send out covert missions to your enemies to Gather additional info or blow up stuff. Chance of Success and damage done depends on difference in player size, with higher success rate on targets bigger than you, average on same size and low on a smaller target.
Possible ops would be:

Research Intel: shows research levels of the target city
    Production Intel: shows current production of target city
    Sabotage Production: increase production times
    Sabotage Construction: increase construction times
    Sabotage Mining: reduce resource income from mines
    Infiltrate Bunkers: destroy stuff usually protected by bunkers

adamsky

• Administrator
  • Nova
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2011, 04:09:45 PM »

While interesting ideas, we shouldn't complicate it too much here.

A good way to limit mechs would be to introduce and limit mechwarriors. This can be done with a limited amount of space in the mechwarrior barracks. Nice and simple.

Under these circumstances, it would be possible to steal and salvage mechs. Unused or inactive mechs would be stored away in mech storage buildings (costs nothing to store, but vulnerable to mech thefts) and would be activated by assigning a pilot to it. So even if you lost a battle (along with a number of mechs) you'll have back-ups waiting for their pilots right away and you would not have to wait a month to rebuild your army.
-----

In that case the whole RPG part (experience bonuses, etc.) could be moved from Mechs to Mechwarriors. Mechs would be just like any other equipment. Not only stealing and salvaging would be possible, but also selling Mechs.

Col Skaza

• SpiderTank
  • Supposed to be a Diplomat...
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2011, 11:44:28 AM »

There is this strange thing about weapons.. they are somehow inside mech armor. Silly, isnt it?
What about removing armor protection for weapons? I mean: Even if mech still have armor, weapons can be destroyed by enemy fire.
"I assume not to die fighting 4 against his 25. And You are the fifth that Im missing"

"Wave of snipers, after wave of snipers. This is just WRONG."

New Lyck Chart:
http://forum.mechhero.com/index.php?topic=2086.msg12948#new

adamsky

• Administrator
  • Nova
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2011, 02:13:08 PM »

There is this strange thing about weapons.. they are somehow inside mech armor. Silly, isnt it?
What about removing armor protection for weapons? I mean: Even if mech still have armor, weapons can be destroyed by enemy fire.
Makes perfect sense from "real-life" point of view.

It works like that to make armors more usable. Armors are most usefull on short-range Mechs that should be able to keep their weapons for as long as possible.

Anny

• Puma
« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2011, 07:19:02 PM »

So this is the brainstorming thread. Beats my why you need this thread. Is it to collect all the good ideas into one area?

So, lets dispense with the long road to this brainstorming conclusion by having  everything being brought up yet again. I will mention these now so we can get started fast.

1. Nukes (ICBM's). Good idea; has been mentioned before
2. Electronic contermeasures (ECM's). Good idea; has been mentioned before.
3. Cloaking. (Optical camo).  Good idea; has been mentioned before.
4. Mechwarrior (pilots). Very good idea; has been mentioned before.
5. Mech Storage (power down mechs). Very good idea; has been mentioned before.
6. Positive cells only (army limits). Awesome idea; has been mentioned before.
7. Espionage. Last idea used recon mechs with high speed and low weight.
8. Jump Jets. Yay we got 'em.
9. Trade routes. Faster transports. Good idea; has been mentioned before.
10. Bunker busters. Has this been mentioned before, I lost track.
11. Mech chassis trading. OK idea; has been mentioned before.
12. A heat aspect to the reload cycle. Good idea; has been mentioned before.
13. City turrent defense. The best defense idea yet; has been mentioned before.
14. Dropships. The best game speed increase idea yet; has been mentioned before.

Probably a few more than this that can be re-hashed.

Now for some new ideas:

1. MASC (Myomer Accelerator Signal Circuitry). Makes your mech go faster by a ratio of added weight, for MASC machinery. You could technically get a NOVA going speed 20 I suppose, but you would have no weight room left for anything else. Effect is immediate and does not use upgrade points. Any MASC circuitry can be used in any chassis, with varying speed increases. A weight 10 MASC would make a Raptor increase speed by 10, but would only increase a NOVA's speed by 0.25, for example. These would give you the recon mechs as per point 7 above (imagine a raptor with 60 speed)

2.  Mechwarrior ejection module. If we go with pilots, need to save them. They could get killed in action. Better ejection seats, better chance of survival, but more cost to system. Percent chance to save pilot vs cost of module.

3. Multi-purpose armour. Protects using both ballistic armour, and energy fields. This may have been mentioned before, as it seems to be a natural game progression.

4. Modular weapons system. Have a few extra points of weight you want to use up? Add an energy module or two to that Tesla Gun for added power, or range, or accuracy. You choose. Need a seperate building to make weapons module attachements (like armoury), and another screen to add them to weapons. Each module weighs one point.

5. Integrated chassis weapons systems. These come standard, or can be added to any chassis after the fact. They cannot be removed from the chassis once installed (part of the hull). They may also increase overall hull strength too. These include all current weapons, but have a substantially decreased weight usage, and higher accuracy (they are part of the mech). Might need another building to make mech integrated weapons, and another screen to add them into chassis.

6. Integrated chassis armour/shield systems. Same idea as the integrated weapons, only for defensive properties. Want three multilayer armours one a mech, with enough room left for some good weapons, now you can do it. Integrated armour/shields have substantially decreased weight and cell usage, but as with weapons, cannot be removed once installed (part of the hull). Might need another building to make mech integrated armour/shields, and another screen to add them into chassis.
6. Traps. Don't like mechs comming to your city? Then place traps on the map around your cities. Explosive devices to make you quick and easy debris. Yay. That will teach those with 400 mechs to come knocking. More resources used equals bigger bang and more destruction.

So, how is this for a start. Talk amongst yourselves.

Col Skaza

• SpiderTank
« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2011, 11:00:14 PM »

Armors are most usefull on short-range Mechs that should be able to keep their weapons for as long as possible.

Well.. armor allows ALL mechs to keep their weapons for as long as possible. I think it shouldnt, mechs will loose their combat-worthiness even when armor is not destroyed, it will increase role of missiles (even weak missile run will be able to lower enemy combat-worthiness, at least a bit).

1. MASC

"Uncatchable" mechs, well sounds similar to my proposition of jumppacks (forward speed multiplier, with reload, instead of todays parachute)

4. Modular weapons system

I thought rather of throwing it into "ECM" pack, all systems that affects damage/accuracy/range of weapons

Same as above, and rather powerfull ECMs, that will decrease enemy weapons range.
"I assume not to die fighting 4 against his 25. And You are the fifth that Im missing"

New Lyck Chart:

Anny

• Puma
« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2011, 03:53:29 AM »

Oh goody. A reply.

1. MASC
"Uncatchable" mechs, well sounds similar to my proposition of jumppacks (forward speed multiplier, with reload, instead of todays parachute)
Not exactly. In fact, not really even close. The way the game is currently, jumpjets are more like teleporters. You automatically start right next to your opponent. Your modified jumpjet idea is a win or escape tactic. This is not. You still have to get there, and you have to judge speed vs what space is left for weapons. Too much speed, not enough weapons, you die.

MASC is nothing new in the mech universe. It has been used in every mech game in some form. Sometimes with different acronyms even. MASC can use 10 weight, or 800 weight depending on how much space you want to use. It might allow a non-jumpjet capable mech (Nemesis, or wolverine maybe) to get moving so as to catch these win or escape armies, but they will never escape the properly equipped army.

4. Modular weapons system
I thought rather of throwing it into "ECM" pack, all systems that affects damage/accuracy/range of weapons
Again not exactly the same. ECM's would affect all weapons systems on the opposing mechs. Modular weapons systems allow each weapon to be inidividually tweaked. You might want to put 5 range mods on a tesla gun to get it shooting 100 distance with the same accuracy. Or maybe you want 100% accuracy at the default range? Can't do this with ECM's. But I would like the idea of using multiple ECM's on a mech for a cumulative decrease in accuracy effect.

Same as above, and rather powerfull ECMs, that will decrease enemy weapons range.
ECM's and cloaks are similar ideas only because the hide the mech from various systems. ECM's do it by hiding the energy signature so as to require greater accuracy at the same range. Cloaks outright vanish the mech form sight. ECM's might be good for NOVA's to hide their true nature, while a cloak might be good for recon mechs to hide there presence altogether. Just a guess though on how it would work here in this game.

Col Skaza

• SpiderTank
« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2011, 10:36:16 AM »

Your modified jumpjet idea is a win or escape tactic.

Not really, its FORWARD speed multiplier, You cant jump backwards (keep max range), but You can escape-jump, thats true, but still, it costs mass, and is more flexible than todays parachute-pack.

Anyway MASC is good idea, but Id limit speed upgrade to something like same as XP speed upgrade,

Again not exactly the same. ECM's would affect all weapons systems on the opposing mechs

I hope for systems that will affect enemy/own weapons systems, I call it "ECM pack", that includes:
- ECMs to lower enemy accuracy and range (powerfull enough and mech is next to invisible=Cloak), Id drop here things like Smoke grenades, radar jammers, IR flares, ECM drones, STEALTH technology, IFF jammers, and optical camo (visible light is just part of how mech is seen in battle)

- Targeters and Scanners to fight back against ECMs, here will be things like enhanced optics, radar/IR/NV/sonar scanners, recon drones and such,

- Weapon upgrades, that will upgrade "weapon stats" (range and damage), but not accuracy, (like sniper rifle capable to shoot across the map, but with accuracy of 10%), things like AP/HEAT/Plasma Rounds, Polygonal/Extended Barrels, Recoil controllers for balistics, Power Coils, Rechargers, and such for energy,

New Lyck Chart:

RemboL

• Vulture
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: May 21, 2011, 12:15:22 PM »

oy, biiig topic... ok, lemme see...
1. MASC (Myomer Accelerator Signal Circuitry).

+1, as far as I'm concerned, that's how j-packs were supposed to work from the beginning.

2.  Mechwarrior ejection module

If I understand correctly, the point of this module would be to save mech's experience. In that case, a) that would contradict the lore, since experience is stored not in form of a pilot, but in "mech’s experience memory device" (Guide > Recovery Station) b) saying you did recover a pilot/experience module, how would you reinstall it in another mech, build a new chasis and insert into?

I'm all for the idea of experienced pilots and stuff, but that would require a LOT of rewriting, systems changing ( ==> testing ), lore rewriting, etc.

4. Modular weapons system.

Needless complication. Why not then put one weapon and buff it with lots of those modules? Imagine an army with max-range-buffed KPs.

5. Integrated chassis weapons systems.
6. Integrated chassis armour/shield systems.

Great idea, might need specification, like if I hard-install a MLP on my mech, is it prone to destruction during combat and if so how do you plan to rearm it (I don't think it should use the same method as rearming soft-installed MLPs)

Also, I'd like to point you towards equipement systems in games like MechWarrior 4 (my memory of this game is little vague, but I believe there on mech you had specific slots with defined size and type which allowed you to install on mech, say, one big ballistic wearon, two medium energy weapons, two medium rockets and one small omni-slot for whatever you like) and Space Pirates and Zombies (with very similar system, little upgraded, and also including miscelaneus equipment slots, like medium slot for things like stealh scanner, tractor beam, shield boost generator, etc). I know this would be a long road to implement, but it's something to think about.

6. Traps.

Nice point, this game needs some terrain-based tactics, but I don't know how they would be done. Would every mech attacking a city at moment of attack receive some damage? Would mines be spread across the battlescape? Placing them on map would require more fundamental changes, right know armies / transports / others moving from point A to point B don't visit any map coordinates that lie in between, so traps in coords arround city won't work.

Covert Ops

Great idea. Would increase the value of espionage, so players would be smart not to underestimate it (well, smart-er then it is now)

EDIT: One thing though - all those effects that you listed, decrease mine income, destroy stuff, can be imidiately discovered and countered (by building up espionage specific building or other anti-espionage meaning). I'd propose some effects, especially those affecting mechs, that would be hidden and discovered only during actual battle, or some forced mech diagnostic (takes time and is not automatic). Like rigging force field generators to short out, sabotaging ammunition to either fire blanks or blow up inside weapon chamber.

Not so silly if you consider f-fields (enveloping whole mechs or critical systems) or retractable weapon mounts that would hide inside armor after firing (like cannons on sides of galeons and such, that would be retracted and ... other stuff happening that I'd have trouble translating from polish, point is that way they can't be destroyed before making a hole in hull / armor)

Other ideas that I had in mind:

1. Active Deflector System - (can't remember if I shared this idea on forum already or only in shoutbox ;] ) Idea I guess similar to ECMs, the longer the projectile flies towards mech, the longer it is under effect of deflection system, and loses speed (accuracy and/or damage). Designed to lower the value of snipers, of course.

2. VTOL carriers - flyers that would be able to transport mechs between cities or even to a battlefield.

3. EMP - and I don't mean here the 7th gen energy weapon, I mean true electromagnetic pulse that would disable a mech (may be 'unshielded mech') for some time.

4. Corrosive acid - slowly but consistently drops the health of affected (and unarmored) mechs.

« Last Edit: May 21, 2011, 12:42:32 PM by RemboL »

Anny

• Puma
« Reply #13 on: May 21, 2011, 04:58:45 PM »

2.  Mechwarrior ejection module
If I understand correctly, the point of this module would be to save mech's experience. In that case, a) that would contradict the lore, since experience is stored not in form of a pilot, but in "mech’s experience memory device...
Mech's would become a tool, or equipment, they would have no experience. The mechwarriors would have the experience. Just as adamsky has said previously, this opens up the idea of mech sales.

5. Integrated chassis weapons systems.
6. Integrated chassis armour/shield systems.
Great idea, might need specification, like if I hard-install a MLP on my mech, is it prone to destruction during combat and if so how do you plan to rearm it (I don't think it should use the same method as rearming soft-installed MLPs)
The idea is these types of integrated systems are part of the mech. So when you repair the mech, these system are also repaired. For example, for ADS armor, if it is not destroyed completely, it is 100% for next battle. If it is destroyed and is integrated, you have to 'repair' the mech to replace the integrated armour. So extra repair time would need to be added to repair integrated systems on top of any hull repair but only if they were completely destroyed. Order of repair should probably be hull first, then any 100% destroyed integrated system, with weapons reapired first, then armours/shields. (you can always slap on some regular weapons quick)

6. Traps.
Nice point, this game needs some terrain-based tactics, but I don't know how they would be done...Would every mech attacking a city at moment of attack receive some damage? Would mines be spread across the battlescape?...
I imagined traps working a bit differently than this, but this idea is also good. I hadn't thought of trapping the battlefield, or the city tile itself. My idea was to trap the tiles surrounding the city you want to defend. It is easy enough to calculate the direction of an attack by the system, to see if the attacking army crosses a trapped tile. The army then takes damage relative to the power (or type maybe) of the traps on the tile before they even get to your city. This makes the direction of attack important too.  I would imagine to reduce server calculations that you could only trap out to two tiles from a city. This would also stop others from trapping you in your own city.  The tiles that were trapped could only be seen by those setting the traps. It should be possible to wipe out all armies with trap tiles before they even get to the city given a powerful enough trap, and the army comes in from the right direction to cross the tile in question.

4. Modular weapons system.
Needless complication. Why not then put one weapon and buff it with lots of those modules? Imagine an army with max-range-buffed KPs..
That is one scenario. Here is another. I max-power-buffed a Plasma Flame Thrower and throw a jumpjet in there just for fun. Then I burn those KP's right out of your little mechs hand. It works both ways. I suggest it only to use that left over weight really.

BTW, a VTOL sounds the same as a dropship to me.

linderson ( LDS )

• translations_po
  • Raptor
« Reply #14 on: May 26, 2011, 01:50:30 AM »

put themselves in the game for the mech are dismissed for not spending as much cell. awards alliance: example'm in second place in the classification of the alliance and for a while to get in first every day that I stay in the first menbros earn a credit alliance
  so good to serve more square that they do not hear us

se colocassem no jogo para que os mech forem desligados pra nao gastar tanta celula. premios de aliança: exemplo estou no segundo lugar na classificaçao da aliança e por um tempo fico em primeiro pra cada dia que eu ficar em primeiro os menbros da aliança ganham um credito
 assim seri bom mais prace que eles nao nos ouvem
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8