MechHero Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Anti-sniper setups  (Read 24256 times)

Vin Vile

• Vulture
Anti-sniper setups
« on: November 27, 2010, 07:19:38 PM »

Alright, here it is. The place to share mech setups that effectively counter those pesky sniper pumas and STs out there :D

The first entry is a puma with 6x light lasers (Thanks adamski).

Crackedcanadian

• Wolverine
    • Email
Re: Anti-sniper setups
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2010, 03:51:46 AM »

it seems to be always sniper vs. mid-range or sniper vs sniper always range beats range.

ive simulated telsa ST vs RG2 st and its always a 50% ratio. ive upped the numbers evenly too.

so far range is king.  i have yet to find an acceptable close range solution to ballistics with energy weapons.

Yes, tesla has been greatly improved since beta but i still find most energy weapons lose to ballistics.

Ive thought that if armors were upped it would give energy weapons more time to get in-range. right now they seem to last right until the tesla starts firing. Teslas eat AFF in a few shots.

i can see that it might make energy too strong since it would completely stop loosing the shield before the tesla can fire.

There could also be a bonus for being within a close range that would up damage or something the 100% accuracy thing is nice but with the way battles go you stay at your weapons max range.

i have not thought about alot of the new ideas enough to balance them out but they are at least possible solutions, also these have all been on a 1vs1 or even numbers assumption.

adamsky

• Administrator
  • Nova
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2010, 04:43:48 PM »

ive simulated telsa ST vs RG2 st and its always a 50% ratio. ive upped the numbers evenly too.
RG2 is more expensive than Tesla (higher Tech Lab requirements and more higher production cost). Besides it's a bit early for RG2 atm. :)

Basicly sniper-Puma has one flaw: low hull and firepower. Sniper rifles have low firepower (compared to mid and short range weapons) and Puma has low hull and capacity (compared to slower Mechs). Sniper-Puma is usefull as long as it stays out of enemy weapon range - all we have to do is to remove that advantage.

One way is to use sniper rifles on bigger and slower Mech. Vulture has bigger capacity and hull than Puma with lower cell consuption. Puma speed and PLR range is no longer a problem - enemy will not get out of range. Main problem is that this way you can only stop enemy. Most snipers try to escape when hull < 50% and Vulture can't catch escaping Puma.

Another way is to use mid or short range weapons on fast Mech and use higher firepower of those weapons. When Mech is going backwards and shoots (that's what snipers do), it moves with half of it's speed. So Puma will be able to catch sniper that tries to withdraw with "Keep max distance". If you know what type of sniper rifles enemy uses (PLR or LRR), you can additionally use shields.

Ofcourse it is true only as long as armies are similar...

asdt506

• Raptor
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2010, 12:05:59 AM »

I tested in simulator a setup that won 7/10 battles against snipers being outnumbered(12 to 21) and with no escape command on the snipers( thats not common, but i wanted it harder than normal).
Setup
6 Athlas with 10 LRR.(they survive and win)
6 Pumas with 6 AR and 1 ceramic plating.(they go kamikase, deal and take most damage)
Test Snipers
21 Pumas with 4 LRR.
I hope that anybody who has problems with snipers find this setup useful.
In the visualizer i saw some pumas just retreating until there was no more field, they appear as exited in the battle report. The great thing is when 5 or 6 just do that and go away.
EDIT:i would put more plating but if the sniper come with lasers it would be useless weight.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2010, 03:42:27 PM by asdt506 »

adamsky

• Administrator
  • Nova
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2010, 03:39:52 PM »

try putting 2 ceramics or 2 metal platings those assault Pumas :)

Kaiserxaku

• Vulture
  • Can't find wisdom if don't realize you're ignorant
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2011, 05:07:20 PM »

Also, try with different units. It's quite unlikely that someone is going to attack you ONLY with snipers. Unless it's a farming, in wich case, you only need same range weaps, in a strongest mech, and that's it.

i.e: mix a couple of athlas with some snipers, and same numbre of athlas with your counter-sniper team, and see if they actually work in real battles.

Dobq

• Wolverine
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2013, 06:54:43 PM »

use JP+lowrange, most easy method

:)