MechHero Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: explain the "rank" of a mech  (Read 4034 times)

freeblade

• Raptor
    • Email
explain the "rank" of a mech
« on: October 19, 2010, 03:33:46 PM »

a mech with high rank move before other with less rank, for Ex. commander move before soldiers... this is a very bad thing in battle expecially if you set "keep distance" because the mech will "step foward" before all other mech, then will move the enemy .. as risult.. your high rank mech will be in range of enemy weapon and all soldier back....  i really need a "demote option " for mech please.. o i must recycle my army to do all soldier and move all mech as a group

freeblade

• Raptor
    • Email
Re: explain the "rank" of a mech
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2010, 03:57:28 PM »

http://mechhero.com/MessageView.aspx?mid=3161198             by clicking "one round" on the visualizer you can see that captain move first... 

Runenstahl

• translations_de
  • Athlas
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2010, 06:48:45 PM »

The "higher rank moves first" has been implemented to make sure that orders like "shoot same target as general" work. If the general does NOT move first it would not target anything and the command wouldn't work in the first round (which can be important when using missiles).

You are of course correct that moving first places the high-ranking guy usually in a wee spot o' trouble. That can be helped by placing him in the middle or back. This way he still moves first but is not that close to the enemy while still targeting the enemy.

On the same matter, I'm not sure if "same target as general" works with any high ranks or just with generals (according to the sim it only works with generals). Even IF it works, you will find that many of your mechs will target other mechs despite given orders to attack the same as the general. It has been explained that this is to make sure they fire at all when the generals target is out of reach. In the end that makes this command (and the promotion) not really usefull.

Higher ranking guys do however get more xp then lowly soldiers (the amound of XP you get per battle stays the same... it's just distributed differently). That can be useful if you want to level up a certain mech.

PS: We can't see your battle-reports. Only you have access to them.
"This dominator-equipped Nova is now the ultimate power in the universe !"

"Don't be too proud of this technological terror you've constructed. The ability to destroy a building is insignificant next to the power to program your mechs right."

Gray Death

• Nova
  • We, who are about to die, salute you!
    • Cursed Legion
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2010, 08:36:40 PM »

Star League members CAN see other SL members' reports.

Runenstahl

• translations_de
  • Athlas
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2010, 09:43:31 PM »

Well okay. But only people from your alliance can see your reports. Which isn't helping when asking questions here in the forum about those reports.

Doesn't matter in this case because we KNOW that higher ranks move first.
"This dominator-equipped Nova is now the ultimate power in the universe !"

"Don't be too proud of this technological terror you've constructed. The ability to destroy a building is insignificant next to the power to program your mechs right."

Taurus

• Nemesis
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2010, 10:43:10 PM »

It's also those higher ranking mechs that get more exp from the battles and therefore will be most likely saved by the recovery station if destroyed.
Don't tread on me.

ZopyrosThe2nd

« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2010, 12:13:20 AM »

I would agree with 'freeblade'. I demote would be handy. But personally, I will never be using the mech ranking system again. All it ends up being is an XP hog.

During the start of the game, giving ranks to mechs can help greatly. It helps certain mechs level up quicker. But by the end game, you start to leave your 'general' at home. He becomes so much an XP hog, you almost abandon him. But you don't want to purposely destroy him because of all that hard work leveling him. So there he sits, most of the time.

Further, I have found that the 'same as general' command is actually less effective than if all mechs had targeted a separate mech on their own. Don't believe me, just run some sims. You will come to the same conclusions.

Ranking mechs in the end will only cause you pain. It is like an 80 pound pussy cat that you love. It takes up too much room on the couch, but you just hate to get rid of him.

adamsky

• Administrator
  • Nova
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2010, 08:39:05 AM »

Did anyone found any good use for lower ranks (Captains and Commanders)?

I would agree with 'freeblade'. I demote would be handy. But personally, I will never be using the mech ranking system again. All it ends up being is an XP hog.
How about this: We allow to demote ranked Mech + we disable limits so player can set up any number of Generals, Commanders, Captains.

LSSniper

• Wolverine
  • What you fear the most is just about to happen...
    • LSSniper on EdgeGamers Organisation
« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2010, 10:33:14 PM »

Only use I found was making one of my mechs more experienced than others...

Making degrading available and removing the limit will probably help in terms of which units move first, bringing a little bit new aspect to tactics.

CAB

• Raptor
« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2010, 11:07:42 PM »

lol

Rodvil

• SpiderTank
« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2010, 11:05:24 PM »

The possibility to demote and have more than one sounds good.
I never used the rankings because of the "for ever and ever" thing. I was sure I didn't want to have the same general for 4 months so I didn't even tried.

adamsky

• Administrator
  • Nova
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2010, 04:24:57 PM »

Any votes agains free ranks?

Do you see any danger in making ranks free?

Enneagon

• SpiderTank
« Reply #12 on: November 27, 2014, 09:58:37 PM »

Lol, I know I'm 49 months late for the discussion...

But, if I go to write player's manual for this game (I'm thinking about that) I will write in it: DO NOT USE mech ranking system.

Except:
1) you think you find a use for Target same as general in with case you assign a disposable unit as general and destroy it right after - and, it probably won't work as you think and in must cases will place yourself in jeopardy, but there indeed are few use cases for it;
2) in the late game, if you used to have certain number of very high level units but lost few of those, you can use other ranks to level replacements faster.

So... unless this discussion continues elsewhere, there no objection to demote function found for 49 months... ;)

I think, the General should always be only one at any given time, but you should be able to remove the rank without destroying the unit.
And there is found reasons to not allow more than one, it always move first (so assigning that to every unit in an army gives clear advantage; also that same Target same as general assumes there only one, I would assume.

Other ranks, as far I see, not change anything except experience distribution so I don't see any reason they should be restricted, but if they revocable, a restriction of X at a time may even be kept as well, or not, does not matter for me.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2014, 11:16:33 AM by Enneagon »