MechHero Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Battletech Conversions  (Read 10561 times)

blkcat21

• Puma
Re: Battletech Conversions
« Reply #15 on: August 25, 2010, 04:55:29 PM »

I liked the way the clans were socially structured. The Succession Wars were getting very old to me. I started playing BT back in the mid 80's, when that was all there was. Still have my original 2975 TRO with all the 'lawsuit mechs' in it, with art, as well as the Aerotech boxset rules, which was where LAM's were first introduced. Damn I loved 'penny bombs'. :)
Even a few old issues of 'The Tech Factory', which were rule supplements, alternate mech designs, as well as campaign ideas.

Basicly, it had ground down to a stalemate. Davion couldnt make any serious gains on Kurita, or vise versa.  Marik was always fighting itself, Liao didnt have a braincell one, and Steiner was usually content to play on the Defensive. The Succession Wars had ground down to the point where there wasnt much going on anymore that you had not already seen. Kinda like the Chiken thread. ;)

As for the spider, I know it doest fit the Scorpion's speed rating, but I was looking for a quad. Not many of them in the BT Universe. The Scorpion was the best medium weight mech I could find to pair to it.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2010, 05:29:11 PM by blkcat21 »

Runenstahl

• translations_de
  • Athlas
« Reply #16 on: August 25, 2010, 06:19:42 PM »

Your right about the "stalemate" in the succession wars. But thats what gave all these merc-units work :)

And I did like the personalities of the rulers (and nations), Kurita was honorable yet tricky, Davion was cast in the "good guys" role (although they where actually even more treacherous then Kurita), Steiner was very stiff and traditional, Liao.... well, let's say they tried to be evil just for the sake of it. Marik actually didn't get that much coverage, but the continuing infighting would surely have been a nice background for political intrigue, skirmishes and merc-use on it's own.

Maybe it WAS becoming difficult to produce really new and interesting ideas for the scenario. And I'm very well aware that it's better to end something while it's good, then to extend a series until it get's boring. But some part of me still likes the idea of those lost-tech nations duking it out.

If you look at it closely it was actually the lostech factor that made this universe so endearing. Technology was a weird mix of science-fiction high end stuff (like working 75 tons walking warmachines) and really low tech (like those unguided missiles used by mechs with ranges of up to 630 meters... for LONG range missiles !). The arrival of the clans changed that. Even without capturing any clan-material some states like Davion suddenly made a technological leap and invented (or re-invented) stuff that had been lost for the last few hundred years. And all of a sudden EVERY nation was inventing new mechs like mad. Kinda destroyed the setting for my liking. But like I said (and you confirmed), many people really liked the clans.

But that's the beauty of gaming (at least off-line gaming) you can alway choose which area and/or story you like to play. So if one group doesn't like the clans.... they don't come back at all in their story. While another group maybe decides to actually play clan characters or start some years after the clan invasion. It's all up to what the gamers prefer.

Oh, and another thing that I didn't like was that the clan-invasion more or less coincidenced with the disappearance of those beloved "lawsuit" mechs as you call em. Kinda made me blame the clans for that :(
(I know it's more likely vice versa... because they couldn't show any more pictures of the most-loved mechs they HAD to come up with something new. Actually quite a few clan-mechs are quite obviously just "re-worked" lawsuit mechs.)
« Last Edit: August 25, 2010, 06:25:07 PM by Runenstahl »
"This dominator-equipped Nova is now the ultimate power in the universe !"

"Don't be too proud of this technological terror you've constructed. The ability to destroy a building is insignificant next to the power to program your mechs right."

blkcat21

• Puma
« Reply #17 on: August 25, 2010, 09:48:47 PM »

Your right about the "stalemate" in the succession wars. But thats what gave all these merc-units work :)

And I did like the personalities of the rulers (and nations), Kurita was honorable yet tricky, Davion was cast in the "good guys" role (although they where actually even more treacherous then Kurita), Steiner was very stiff and traditional, Liao.... well, let's say they tried to be evil just for the sake of it. Marik actually didn't get that much coverage, but the continuing infighting would surely have been a nice background for political intrigue, skirmishes and merc-use on it's own.

They got some coverage. I dont think there was a novel written on that particular house, but I might have missed it.
For the most part Marik forces were always fighting other marik forces, which kept them from ever really mounting any kind of serious attack, except for when Liao tried to pinch off em. Seemed that exterior threats always brought Marik back together again, only to rip themselves apart when the current leader died/was killed.

Maybe it WAS becoming difficult to produce really new and interesting ideas for the scenario. And I'm very well aware that it's better to end something while it's good, then to extend a series until it get's boring. But some part of me still likes the idea of those lost-tech nations duking it out.

Nothing stops you from setting the rules for a battle to use nothing but IS tech from 3025 or before. The Classic battletech ruleset allows for that, so long as your opponent agree's.

If you look at it closely it was actually the lostech factor that made this universe so endearing. Technology was a weird mix of science-fiction high end stuff (like working 75 tons walking warmachines) and really low tech (like those unguided missiles used by mechs with ranges of up to 630 meters... for LONG range missiles !). The arrival of the clans changed that. Even without capturing any clan-material some states like Davion suddenly made a technological leap and invented (or re-invented) stuff that had been lost for the last few hundred years. And all of a sudden EVERY nation was inventing new mechs like mad. Kinda destroyed the setting for my liking. But like I said (and you confirmed), many people really liked the clans.

Davion was already working to bridge the losttech gap. The NAIS had been working to unlock the Gray Death memory core for years before the clans even showed up. Their fax machines, used in the 3rd and 4th wars, were an example of that. As was the IS double heat sink. Kurita captured one of them towards the end of the 3rd war I believe, which allowed them to close the tech gap a little too.

After the clans arrived, capturing clan tech was a huge priority for the House Lords. Kurita captured several elemental suits as well as a star of omni's from Clan Jag on Wolcott, I think that was the planet, as spoils when they outsmarted/out tricked the attacking force. This also went a huge ways towards bridging the gap.

It wasnt really until the gathering on Outreach, when Wolf's Dragoons revealed that they used to be part of Clan Wolf, that the gap all but disappeared. The Dragoons transmitted copies of all the omni mechs developed prior to them returning to the IS to all the house lords. That was also when Davion made the deal with Marik that would start rolling the refit packages for mechs to the front.

Even when they launched their strike on Huntress, IS forces were only about 40% upgraded tech. Thus why there were always more IS mechs on the battlefield, than clan.

Oh, and another thing that I didn't like was that the clan-invasion more or less coincidenced with the disappearance of those beloved "lawsuit" mechs as you call em. Kinda made me blame the clans for that :(
(I know it's more likely vice versa... because they couldn't show any more pictures of the most-loved mechs they HAD to come up with something new. Actually quite a few clan-mechs are quite obviously just "re-worked" lawsuit mechs.)

Several are reworked mechs. Marauder IIC is a fine example.
As for the timing, that was what forced FASA to develop another storyline. At one time, I believe the clans were suppost to be totally alien in nature and history, but after the lawsuit, that was changed so that they could design new mechs, along the same lines as the older 'unseen', but with enough visual difference to be clear of future lawsuits.

Harmony Gold sucks!

Gray Death

• Nova
  • We, who are about to die, salute you!
    • Cursed Legion
« Reply #18 on: August 29, 2010, 08:20:07 PM »

I think Omi Kurita had a lot to do with the peace between the Davions and the Kuritas. And there were several Novels about the Free Worlds League. Mostly focused on the Knights of the Inner Sphere. As far as the Liaos, they weren't really evil. Just paranoid Schizophrenics. Maximillian, Romano, and Sun Tzu, all 3. Sun Tzu was the least pronounced case, but he was raised by Romano.
Pages: 1 [2]