MechHero Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Battletech Conversions  (Read 11370 times)

Runenstahl

• translations_de
  • Athlas
Battletech Conversions
« on: August 01, 2010, 12:25:50 PM »

Naturally quite a bunch of Battletech-nerds (like myself) roam this game. So why has no one posted any conversions yet ? Guess I'll have to start that :)

These are by no means perfect, so go ahead and post your own ones !

(oh, and since I mostly own German material about Battletech I can't give you these fancy letter/number codes that go before the names because the German ones differ from the english ones). Silly me. When posting the link for the battletech wiki I realized that I could get this stuff there ! The links show you the original designs (with pictures !).

WSP-1A Wasp
http://www.sarna.net/wiki/Wasp

Chassis: Raptor

Main Weapons:
1x Light Laser
1x LR-86 sf Fire-Missile Pod

Secondary Weapons:
None

Armor:
1x Ceramic Plating

Note: To take into account the much weaker armor when compared to bigger mechs, this one has no energy protection.

PHX-1 Phoenix Hawk
http://www.sarna.net/wiki/Phoenix_Hawk

Chassis: Vulture

Main Weapon:
1x Railgun I

Secondary Weapons:
1x Assault Rifle
2x Light Laser

Armor:
1x Ceramic Plating
1x Selective Force Field

SHD-2H Shadow Hawk
http://www.sarna.net/wiki/Shadow_Hawk

Chassis: Vulture

Main Weapon:
1x Long Range Rifle

Secondary Weapons:
1x Light Laser

Armor:
1x Basic Metal Plating
2x Selective Force Fields

WHM-6R Warhammer
http://www.sarna.net/wiki/Warhammer

Chassis: Wolverine

Main Weapons:
2x Ion Pulse Cannons

Secondary Weapons:
1x Light Machine Gun
2x Light Lasers

Armor:
1x Basic Metal Plating
1x Selective Force Field

Notes: Actually a little too lightly armored for a Warhammer, but I decided against a heavier chassis to get the speed-ratio right according to my other conversions. In Battletech there is no distinction between energy and ballistic damage (at least not until later times) so I gave this mech also some force fields to protect him all around.

MAD-3R Marauder
http://www.sarna.net/wiki/Marauder

Chassis: Wolverine

Main Weapons:

Main Weapons:
2x Ion Pulse Cannons

Secondary Weapons:
2x Light Lasers
1x Long Range Rifle

Armor:
1x Ceramic Plating
2x Selective Force Fields

Note: Again, too lightly armored :(
« Last Edit: August 02, 2010, 05:34:54 AM by Runenstahl »
"This dominator-equipped Nova is now the ultimate power in the universe !"

"Don't be too proud of this technological terror you've constructed. The ability to destroy a building is insignificant next to the power to program your mechs right."

marcin

• SpiderTank
Re: Battletech Conversions
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2010, 09:42:07 PM »

sounds good but this should be followed by behavior setup to make it complete and i`m not sure everyone wants to share their experience :)

Runenstahl

• translations_de
  • Athlas
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2010, 10:18:53 PM »

The goal isn't to build effective fighting machines for Mech Hero. The goal is to "translate" Battletech stats into this game for the pure fun of it. Maybe some of these translated machines could be used for real in this game... most probably can't.

Battletech mechs are more often then not designed with an wide assortment of different weapons to give their pilots the means to make the best out of any situation. While the behavior options in mech hero are pretty cool, they simply don't allow that much flexibility. It's more effective to gear your units towards ONE role here, be it sniper, tank or close combat.

At least right now you can't tell your AI to go to close combat unless your enemy has no ranged weapons that can match your single LRR (for example). You can only tell it to rush forward or stay back or hold it's ground. Maybe options like this will be implemented in the future. But honestly I think you would loose players if the behavior system gets any more complex.

"Don't be too proud of this technological terror you've constructed. The ability to destroy a building is insignificant next to the power to program your mechs right."

amardez

• Vulture
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2010, 01:16:32 AM »

Nice work I Like it i will have to take a look at this battle tech

Runenstahl

• translations_de
  • Athlas
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2010, 05:27:37 AM »

GASP ! You don't know it ?!?

Well, I guess http://www.sarna.net/wiki/Main_Page could be a good place to start. It's an old boardgame about designing mechs and duking it out. It does however take place in a detailed universe and was a really successful game that got turned into several pc and video-games as well (Mech Commander, Mech Warrior, Mech Assault etc.). It also spawned quite a bunch of novels as well. Oh, and the game itself expanded too... it got a roleplaying game, an extension for space battles, several additional game modules for large campaigns etc.

Taurus

• Nemesis
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2010, 05:51:47 AM »

It was also a series back in 94-95. It lasted only 13 episodes though. Looked all over the web to find them (since it's been about 15 years since I've seen them), only place I was able to find'em at was a place I wasn't expecting. Youtube. Someone uploaded their old tapes of them there so the quality ain't very good, but it's the only place I was able to find them.

Word is that they're coming out with a ALL NEW game titled simply "MECHWARRIOR." I saw some previews of it and it looked awesome. Extremely realistic with new features added to it.

I also heard that they're trying to make "Mechwarrior the Movie" as well. Despite the bs robotech is throwing at them claiming some kind of copyright infringement. SOB's.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2010, 04:55:59 PM by Taurus »
Don't tread on me.

Gray Death

• Nova
  • We, who are about to die, salute you!
    • Cursed Legion
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2010, 05:29:25 AM »

I have all of the cartoon series for Windows media player, except that the last episode is a repeat of the one before it. Anyone wants copies, let me know and I'll find someplace to upload them. Too big for email. lol And thanks to Uticus, I also have most of the books, that .rar archive is just small enough to email. PM me and I'll figure out how to spread Battletech to anyone who wants it. 8)

adamsky

• Nova
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2010, 03:57:28 PM »

how big is it? I would be interested...

My only contact with giant robots before MH was one part of MechWarrior and... "Robot Jox" :D

Gray Death

• Nova
    • Cursed Legion
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2010, 02:23:04 AM »

how big is it? I would be interested...

My only contact with giant robots before MH was one part of MechWarrior and... "Robot Jox" :D

678 MB (711,915,841 bytes) for the cartoons. just too big for yahoo mail atachments.
53.4 MB (56,018,740 bytes) for the novels.

loogiechiken

• Wolverine
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2010, 10:58:51 AM »

Oh I like this... being a battletech nerd myself it appeals to me. Think I've still got the blueprint posters kicking about somewhere - the Locust one was my favourite.

I did wonder why this game wasnt more overtly linked to the battletech lore but figured it was to avoid the inevitable copyright issues that have dogged most of the other 3rd party battletech projects.

Gray Death

• Nova
    • Cursed Legion
« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2010, 10:07:40 PM »

The battletech copyrights were scattered to several dozen companies when FASA went belly up. And let's face it. If the copyright owners cared, there would not be any games with the word "Mech" in their names'. Mainly because that term is directly derived from "Battlemech" which is one of the terms protected by the original FASA copyrights. I think that the devs avoided too much Battletech out of a desire to be unique.

Gray Death

• Nova
    • Cursed Legion
« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2010, 10:16:21 PM »

I think I'm just going to upload them all on a free storage site. I will then post the username and password here. That way anyone who wants copies can just login to it and retrieve them. I'll be ignoring the existence of that account once they are uploaded. So, if anyone messes it up, I don't want to hear complaints about "The password got changed, or the username is invalid, or they got deleted. The upload process is extremely time consuming, so I only want to do this once.

Gray Death

• Nova
    • Cursed Legion
« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2010, 02:47:28 PM »

site = www.adrive.com
username = graydeath@rocketmail.com
Password = Battletech3051

The books and cartoons are there. I didn't put the RPG guidebooks on their because there are just so many. The small amount of data that's there took almost 2 hours to upload. The email that is the username is not used or even monitored. I created it solelt for this  purpose.

blkcat21

• Puma
« Reply #13 on: August 24, 2010, 05:56:08 PM »

I'd have to disagree on a few of the chasis types.

A marauder as a wolvie? Seriously? Its a heavy chasis, should at least be a Neme. The Timberwolf was designed off the Marauder, and I'd give that a Neme.

Raptor=good up to a Panther
Vulture= Blackjack or Raven
Puma=Shadowcats
Athlas= Hunchback IIC (never liked the IS hunchback)
Wolverine= Orion
Spiders= Scorpions
Nemesis= Timberwolf/Marauder
Nova= Assault class's (Dire Wolf in my case)

Runenstahl

• translations_de
  • Athlas
« Reply #14 on: August 25, 2010, 03:49:49 PM »

I was aiming to get the relative speed about right and not looking at the weight (or looks) of the chassis. The Spider Tank = Scorpion Mech is a good comparison for looks, but not for it's stats. The "actual" Scorpion Mech isn't THAT fast. But that doesn't mean that your take on it isn't valid. It's just a different way to do the same. If you have the time for it, please post some conversions of your own design.

PS: Despite the fact that many people LOVE those clan mechs, I have to admit that I'm an oldschool battle-mech fanboy and that I despise the whole clan thingy to some extend... would have loved to have the succession wars go on forever :)

Pages: [1] 2