MechHero Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 10

Author Topic: Endgame scenario  (Read 35320 times)

Zopyros

Re: Endgame scenario
« Reply #15 on: June 12, 2010, 12:12:04 AM »

1 HOW EXACTLY WILL WE IDENTIFY THESE PORTALS?
The same way you indentify city or debris field on the map.
There will be more than 64 NPC locations - most of them will offer weapons and stuff for the whole game. After 4 months we will place 64 NPC that will become portals as soon as they get explored by first player.

Just want to be certain on this. The same way.... you mean it will say 'Fancy Smancy Portal Type Thingy' when I have the pointer over a city in the world map? Or do I have to scan the various cites? If so, is the portal considered a building? Would I scan for buildings then? Would I have to bring a mech to the city to even find out, or is a scan good enough?

I want to understand how a player will know the difference between a regular NPC city, and a Portal City. I picture of how it would look on the map would be real nice.

Gray Death

• Nova
  • We, who are about to die, salute you!
    • Cursed Legion
« Reply #16 on: June 13, 2010, 03:39:28 AM »

Also, What month are we in? I started late and have no idea. lol

Stu H

• Wolverine
« Reply #17 on: June 13, 2010, 04:27:39 AM »

Server kicked of in march, so question is start or end of month 4?  Because I've noticed a few new cities appear near me in the last few days!!!

Zopyros

« Reply #18 on: June 13, 2010, 10:37:53 PM »

Another few questions about the asteroids and fuel.

You say there will be the special fuel mine on the asteroid. Will the player have to build a city on the map tile to acquire the mine? Will the MBB's required for the city follow the same requirements as any other city; that being for example 49 MBB's for the 8th city? Or will the asteroid cities be a standard amount of MBB's, lets say 10 MBB's? What are the possible fuel mine numbers per map square; can you have anywhere from 2 to 8 fuel mines on a map tile? Will every map tile on the asteroid have at least a few fuel mines? Will you be able to build standard buildings as on earth on the asteriod; mech hanger to be specific? Or is this asteroid city more like a fuel depot with limited infrastructure potential?

adamsky

• Administrator
  • Nova
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: June 15, 2010, 03:55:39 PM »

Just want to be certain on this. The same way.... you mean it will say 'Fancy Smancy Portal Type Thingy' when I have the pointer over a city in the world map? Or do I have to scan the various cites? If so, is the portal considered a building? Would I scan for buildings then? Would I have to bring a mech to the city to even find out, or is a scan good enough?
Current NPC/farmbots are normal accounts played by engine - it will be gone in relase.

We want to replace it with something completely new. NPC location will not be a regular cities - it will have different image on the map and will work a bit different. Some of those NPC locations will become portals after someone visits them. Portals will also have their own image on the map so you will not have to scan every city to find a portal. Once the portal is revealed it becomes visible (as portal) to everyone on the server.

Also, What month are we in? I started late and have no idea. lol
It's a beta and it will last longer than normal round. We propably need ~4 months from now to start endgame. We don't plan to continue beta server after the endgame so we will launch it 2 - 3 month before planned release.

You say there will be the special fuel mine on the asteroid. Will the player have to build a city on the map tile to acquire the mine? Will the MBB's required for the city follow the same requirements as any other city; that being for example 49 MBB's for the 8th city? Or will the asteroid cities be a standard amount of MBB's, lets say 10 MBB's? What are the possible fuel mine numbers per map square; can you have anywhere from 2 to 8 fuel mines on a map tile? Will every map tile on the asteroid have at least a few fuel mines? Will you be able to build standard buildings as on earth on the asteriod; mech hanger to be specific? Or is this asteroid city more like a fuel depot with limited infrastructure potential?
Cities will be absolutely normal with all buildings available. Asteroid cities will also require standard amount of MBBs. Not all fields on the asteroid will contain fuel... propably ~10% of fields will have fuel mines (it still gives you 1600 spots with fuel). Most spots will contain the same number of fuel mines, but we will surely add few special spots with more fuel in the center of each asteroid.

Zopyros

« Reply #20 on: June 16, 2010, 02:02:10 AM »

Cool. Thanks for the info.

Stu H

• Wolverine
« Reply #21 on: June 17, 2010, 03:02:33 AM »

Asteroid cities will also require standard amount of MBBs.

I think that is an issue, I understand the thinking behind the double up system but it makes it less worthwhile (time/resource v effort) building more cities beyond a certain point!

Gray Death

• Nova
    • Cursed Legion
« Reply #22 on: June 17, 2010, 06:58:49 AM »

Yes MBB production and the need for huge numbers of them might cause an issue.

adamsky

• Administrator
  • Nova
    • Email
« Reply #23 on: June 17, 2010, 10:34:21 AM »

Noone said it will be easy... :)

You can build those MBBs earlier and only wait till you find proper portal.

Wolve

• Puma
    • Email
« Reply #24 on: June 17, 2010, 02:58:45 PM »

As I stated in a previous post under grp attack in mechhero questions.....without the ability to grp attack, portals will be impossible to obtain once large alliances have hold of them. We will not be able to break the defenders as 4-5 ppl can easily defend against a single attacker and keep their mechs there indefinately thus making the asteroids available to only the few.

adamsky

• Administrator
  • Nova
    • Email
« Reply #25 on: June 17, 2010, 03:25:04 PM »

1. There are 64 portals and key players will have limited possibilities of supporting the portal - they need to focus on fuel and attacks.

2. Even with old version of battle algorithm sequential attacks could break through large defense. New combat system makes it easier.

3. Cells. If you send all your cells to portal your own city will propably remain unprotected.

4. Time. Portal needs to be supported constantly for many days or weeks. Attacker needs just one good, synchronized action.

Last but not least: If you are an alliance leader try to make 20 or 30 people follow orders. Order them to leave their cities unprotected for a week during war time (even if they see a-b attack incoming). Maybe this way you will understand the difference between theory and practise in MMO games.

Gray Death

• Nova
    • Cursed Legion
« Reply #26 on: June 17, 2010, 03:50:29 PM »

Coordinated strikes are already possible with the current setup. As it is not an in game function, I do not feel constrained to say how it's possible. I will say that it is very doable and that my alliance has been on the recieving end of a few and that I, personally' participated in a couple before the legion was even formed. They are possible, it's up to each player to figure out how, though.

adamsky

• Administrator
  • Nova
    • Email
« Reply #27 on: June 17, 2010, 04:03:31 PM »

Sequential attacks can be effecive. We also tested it during the 'core wars'.

At first it may seem unimportant that defensive wall lost "just some shields" and/or "only few mechs", but if attacker is not leaving enough time to repair and rearm defesive Mechs, than he can break through.

Bug

• Raptor
« Reply #28 on: June 27, 2010, 04:52:36 AM »

We will rather leave it as lottery. I expect lots of fun when first player finds a portal and everyone will start rushing to find the remaining 63. :)

In NPC locations I want to test new weapon types and new Mechs. Best experinmental setups will be used then to defend portal-NPCs.

What if all the 64 portals are occupied?

That would mean late comers like me might lose out and forever be locked out of the portal business.

My humble suggestion is this --- offer yet another way to explore the universe for those who are too late on the scene.

adamsky

• Administrator
  • Nova
    • Email
« Reply #29 on: June 27, 2010, 09:55:53 AM »

I eastimate that no more than 4 - 5 big forces (confederations of few alliances) will compete for asteroids in the end. In many servers there may be only 2 big confederations. 64 portals should be enough for everyone.

If someone is locked out without any portal he simply has to put 100% of his effort into getting one from his opponents.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 10