MechHero Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10

Author Topic: Endgame scenario  (Read 37450 times)

adamsky

• Nova
    • Email
Endgame scenario
« on: June 10, 2010, 07:40:11 AM »

Portals and Asteroids
After approximately four months of playing, portals that lead to asteroids begin to appear in NPC locations examined by players. In order to enter the portal and travel to an asteroid, you must take control of the portal. If one alliance member occupies a portal, he or she allows other alliance members to travel through it to reach an asteroid. At the same time, the entire alliance gains the possibility to view the asteroid to which the portal leads.

The journey to an asteroid is one operation from the players perspective: the player chooses a destination spot on the asteroid, selects "action" and sends units. The player can do the following:
- establish a new base on an empty field on the asteroid.
- send resource and equipment transports to a base on the asteroid.
- send units to his/her base on the asteroid.
- send reinforcements to an allies base on the asteroid.
I suggest to block the possibility to attack through the portal (from a base on the planet to a base on the asteroid). I think that it will be more interesting, if all fights on an asteroid will be played locally on it, and only by players who have established a foothold on the asteroid.

The journey through a portal actually has three phases:
1. The journey to a starting base, which holds the portal – Time is dependent on unit speed and distance, calculated in a standard manner.
2. Journey through the portal – trip time to be agreed on – From zero to a couple of hours.
3. Journey from the portal to the destination place – Time is dependent on unit speed and distance, calculated in a standard manner.

Two methods of acquiring a portal (to be decided later):
1. A portal is a fixed structure and is acquired if the attacker kills all units defending the portal. In this case, the attacking army (or whatever is left of it) stays in the portal as a new defense army.
2. A portal is a marked field on the map on which it's possible to build a base of a special type (A Portal Supply Base, or PSB). The PSB has functionality limited the the minimum (the possibility to expand is limited to cell storage buildings). The portal is acquired if a PSB is established on it. In order to claim a portal from an opponent, the PSB must be destroyed and a new PSB must be established. While building a PSB, the limitations for regular bases are not applied; a PSB is always built using one MMB and without analyzing the players points.

There are 16 asteroids, and each has 4 portals leading to it; that way, we have 64 portals on the planet. The portals are randomly spread on the surface of the planet, but maintaining a possibly-even spread. A fixed amount of portals needs to be kept on each map quadrant, or divide the map into 64 squares and draw one portal in each.

Connections between portals on the planet and portals on asteroids are randomly chosen; one asteroid can be connected to 4 portals located at totally different sections of the map.

Each asteroid is a 32x32 field; portals are placed in the asteroids corners.

Resource
There is a special type of field located on the asteroids. Apart from crystals, gas and cells, it's possible to extract a new, special resource – fuel.

Fuel is stored in special buildings, called Fuel Storage (or FS). The fuel is not gathered and kept as regular resources. The resource is divided evenly throughout all alliance's bases that possess the FS, proportionally to the FS's level.

If a base is attacked with A-B weapons, and the FS is damaged or destroyed, the attacker's alliance drains the amount of fuel stored in the FS; the amount of fuel in an alliance is publicly accessible information.

Space ship
In order to win Mech Hero, an evacuation operation needs to be established in order to evacuate your society from the planet. To do that, a certain amount of buildings (representing a space ship) need to be built; fuel is required to build these buildings.

The right to build the space ship is determined by a special role in the alliance. The alliance's command assigns the role and grants fuel for building the spaceship.

After you start building the ship, a certain amount of fuel is subtracted form the alliance's supplies. Canceling the build returns 100% of the allocated fuel.

The bases in which the ships are built are visible for the whole game server; a list of bases with them will be available. The space ship may be attacked with A-B weapons.

The game is won when an alliance builds a certain amount of ships.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2010, 06:56:42 AM by AndyMadas »

sponge

• Nemesis
Re: Endgame scenario
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2010, 10:02:04 AM »

sounds great ;D
but i do have just a few questions. some you prob already know but the rest i gonna throw out there anyway

1 HOW EXACTLY WILL WE IDENTIFY THESE PORTALS?

by bringing our mouse cursor over the location
will it be marked with a distinctive feature on the map
will there be much more than 64 npc locations but only 64 with portals. then we have to scan to find out which to go for?

2 WHAT KIND OF MECHS WILL FORM THE ORIGINAL GUARD?

i think that ye should have it worked out so that their is a trick in behaviour to beat the npc mechs and not just sheer numbers
you could limit this by having armies on each side and only allowing a certain number of mechs pass through the portal at a time example-10 mechs per wave
also you can only occupy and hold the earth side of the portal once you have beaten the mechs on both sides
also the npc mechs could be rapidly healing because of the intelligent "nano" fuel that powers them,
they automatically repair after each battle if they are not ALL killed

5 GUARDING YOUR PORTAL?

Once you have conquered it I think that there should be a certain cell supply at the npc location to help support your mechs but also have the option to build cell storage (if that does not throw off the balance of the game) or at least be able to make regular deliveries to support what you need

4 OTHER WORLD/PORTAL TRAVEL

i think that travel to asteroid and back should be instantaneous. i just think that that is the whole basis of it being called a portal
also will it be possible to travel for example…. Asteroid 1 has 4 portals. Could you travel through portal 1 and then out through 2/3/4 after travelling across the asteroid?

5 HOW EXACTLY DO WE GET FUEL?

You say that the special city is built on earth but will we not need some special machine mining on the asteroid itself that brings the fuel back to earth. This could be done with the building of the city, that it automatically deploys to the asteroid

6 SHIP BUILDING?

I think that if you incorporate lengthy research times and new techs for the space ship it will only favour the few biggest players in the game who have almost unlimited resources
If it were found when the npc mech army are defeated on the plans to build the space ship it will allow for a bit more fair play

7 ON THE ASTEROID?

On the asteroid itself there could also be few remaining npc or bot cities. Obviously with much more of a challenge to defeat than  the current ones in game. These can be the ones that give rise to the artefacts which you talked about before
The asteroids are really parts of earth before the nuclear holocaust that almost blew it completely to pieces? This just an idea
It could also give rise to the artefacts that were thought to be lost to the war

Ok that’s all for now. Any1 else wanna throw in a few bits and pieces
Im sure I will think of few more soon
« Last Edit: June 10, 2010, 10:03:55 AM by sponge »

adamsky

• Nova
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2010, 11:27:58 AM »

1 HOW EXACTLY WILL WE IDENTIFY THESE PORTALS?
The same way you indentify city or debris field on the map.
There will be more than 64 NPC locations - most of them will offer weapons and stuff for the whole game. After 4 months we will place 64 NPC that will become portals as soon as they get explored by first player.

2 WHAT KIND OF MECHS WILL FORM THE ORIGINAL GUARD?
Completely new ones. :)
Portal will be occupied on earth side.

GUARDING YOUR PORTAL?
Yes, we will allow sending reinfs and Cells to portal so enemy can't take it away from you that easily.

4 OTHER WORLD/PORTAL TRAVEL
Yes, you will be able to get through the portal to another sector of earth map. :) The nly condition is that your alliance has to control both portals.

5 HOW EXACTLY DO WE GET FUEL?
It will be 4th resource. There will be additional mines on some spots on the asteroid.

6 SHIP BUILDING?
Actually it will be task for the whole alliances. Spaceships will propably be constructed by biggest players (depends on alliance politics), but even biggest players will still need some support from their alliance.

7 ON THE ASTEROID?
We will consider addional NPC on asteroids - it may be a good idea to leave some alien weapons there. :)

sponge

• Nemesis
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2010, 02:00:30 PM »

lol
sounds like ye have it extremely well thought out already
i also love the idea of there being many npc's and that you have to conquer them to find out if there is portal or not.
you could use the idea of maybe extra radiation coming from portals and all npc locations.
after sending satelite it measures this extra radiation
50-100 low
100-200 medium
200-500 high
500-1000 extreme
1000-10000 nuclear meltdown levels!

these could be used a s a guideline for the likelyhood of their being a portal at the location.
but then again you might want to keep it as more of a lottery to find it

new mechs sounds very good.
i do think that having battles at these locations being limited to certain numbers of mechs could be important though if you want to keep the original dynamic of the game that you were hoping for 

sounds great!

adamsky

• Nova
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2010, 02:11:38 PM »

We will rather leave it as lottery. I expect lots of fun when first player finds a portal and everyone will start rushing to find the remaining 63. :)

In NPC locations I want to test new weapon types and new Mechs. Best experinmental setups will be used then to defend portal-NPCs.

sponge

• Nemesis
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2010, 03:07:21 PM »

yeah lottery sounds best
will be fun when people realise an alliance getting fuel....then you gonna see some fighting!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
more questions for you soon ;D

DukeM

• Athlas
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2010, 03:27:16 PM »

16 Asteroids with a portal at each corner which might lead to completely different parts of Earth.

Somehow reminds me of Solaris :) Get ready to rumble  ;D

Zopyros

« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2010, 01:14:01 AM »

Do these portals exist now?

*edit: reason I ask is, almost 4 months now.

BTW, this sound a lot like something I said in another post. This was taken from a topic on how to get a full server war.

Another way not to get too many people too cranky too fast. Put some jump/hyperspace anomalies on the map. When you go through, you 'jump to another area on the map. You must first enter the jump point with a mech to see where it ends up. Once you do this, all travel to an extended area uses the known jump points that you have explored.

**Edit: You can even have some jump/hyperspace anomalies work only one way. It is up to us to find out how they work.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2010, 01:20:30 AM by Zopyros »

Stu H

• Wolverine
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2010, 02:59:36 AM »

Portals and Asteroids
Two methods of acquiring a portal (to be decided later):
1. A portal is a fixed structure and is acquired if the attacker kills all units defending the portal. In that case, the attacking army (or what is left of it) stays in the portal as a new defense army
2. A portal is a marked field on the map on which it's possible to build a base of a special type (PSB – Portal Supply Base). The PSB has functionality limited the the minimum (the possibility to expand is limited to cell storage buildings). The portal is acquired if a PSB is established on it. In order to claim a portal from an opponent, the PSB must be destroyed and a new PSB must be established. While building a PSB the limitations for regular bases are not applied – a PSB is always built using one MMB and without analyzing the players points.

Prefer the first option, 2nd one is just more building and less battling and will advantage the bigger alliances that could probably field 20  MBB's in a day or two!

Czaky

• Puma
« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2010, 03:46:22 AM »

Wow! I can't wait to see what these new alien Mechs & Weapons are.

:o "Angry portal aliens attack you with A-B weapons in order to keep their portal a secret!"  ;D (Joking, I haven't discovered a portal yet.)

The 'End Game' by month 6, sounds more like Duke Nukem. Destroy the aliens, blow up the planet, and escape in a ship. That would be funny with an end game animation of the planet blowing up.

Zopyros

« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2010, 03:49:25 AM »

Why not make it even better and have it so that all defending mechs at a portal consume 2 times the usual cells. In this way, some less powerful players will have a chance.

Call it interference from the portal.

Stu H

• Wolverine
« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2010, 05:48:04 AM »

But said less powerful player then wouldn't be able to hold the portal?  There's no simple way to assist the weaker players that I can think of!   

Zopyros

« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2010, 12:11:55 PM »

Yes, it would be harder to hold on to especially for the weaker players, but a lot easier to clear out, especially for the weaker players.

*Edit: This would create more portal turnover and battles.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2010, 12:14:20 PM by Zopyros »

adamsky

• Nova
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: June 11, 2010, 02:44:36 PM »

We will first have to check how 2D affects large defense packs. If big concentration of def will be still as powerfull as it is now, we will think about multiplying cell usage.

However with new battle algorithms there may be no such need. :)

Rodvil

• SpiderTank
« Reply #14 on: June 11, 2010, 11:41:16 PM »

Very cool stuff!
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10