MechHero Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5

Author Topic: Mech Hero Mercenaries  (Read 45344 times)

Rodvil

• SpiderTank
Re: Mech Hero Mercenaries
« Reply #30 on: June 29, 2010, 12:48:09 PM »

Where did you find this "bible" GC, Zopyros? Can we read in the internet?
So this also applies to your definition, right?
You can get any definition you want on the net, if you take the time.

We have here a small situation:
Zopyros wants to play a ultra-realistic and simple-minded real life Geneva Convention only mercenary definition game style.
Everyone else wants to play a MechHero mercenary style.

Do your way, Zopyros, and leave us alone to do or discuss our way. I think we don't really need you to tell us that our way is wrong just because it is not your way!

Personally I could care less what the Merc definition is, except for English language misunderstanding terms.
What I do care is to think of a way were we can play mercenary in this game and have fun.

So, please, lets stop the pseudo-philosophic-BS discussion and lets keep to the practical fun stuff of this game!

Zopyros

« Reply #31 on: June 29, 2010, 12:57:16 PM »

I was trying to explain how I would like to play the merc title. No one would even look it up to see how. I was trying to convince others to 'the way'.

Funny thing is, I was just going to post here to say you guys continue your discussion on the way you would like to run your merc alliance. I am not interested in playing that way. It will be just another alliance, and nothing of any more worth that.

I withdraw my offer to join this alliance. And to anyone that has messaged me on this, or that I have messaged back, desregard those and that.

adamsky

• Nova
    • Email
« Reply #32 on: June 29, 2010, 01:07:55 PM »

I suggest to leave GC, it doesn't apply to browser-based sci-fi war games. :)

From my point of view being mercenary makes sense as long as you have some serious firepower. Single player is never a "serious firepower", no matter how big and dreadful he is. So thats why I'd rather see an alliance (with commanders and structure) that simply stays out of server politics.

Stu H

• Wolverine
« Reply #33 on: June 30, 2010, 02:48:30 AM »

Amen

Zopyros

« Reply #34 on: June 30, 2010, 04:09:21 AM »

I suggest to leave GC, it doesn't apply to browser-based sci-fi war games. :)
It applies to the way I would like to play the merc role. The GC was used to try and rally support for 'the way', and failed because no one wants to read a document longer than one page, or they are lazy, or they.....[I forgot children are playing this. My mistake, might happen only a few more times until I remember].

Where did you find this "bible" GC, Zopyros? Can we read in the internet?
Since you edited your post with this info later, yes you can read it on the internet.
Just google 'The Geneva Convention".

Dukem has it about right in his last post. At least he read it before commenting. Or at least skimmed through it. I know this because of the wording he used, and he did not relate it to the EU, which would indicate he had not read it. However, any document with definitions can be used as a dictionary relating to those subjects at hand, even if various countries do not abide by these definitions or change them whenever they want. Therefore, it can be used as a dictionary by this very definition for my purposes as to how I would like to play the merc role. [as an aside, the only countries that do not follow the GC regularly are the USA as a general rule, and a few other first world countries in a very minor way comparatively. Third world or worse are not 'civilized' enough to behave properly so they do not apply. Yes I admit the GC is a tad highfalutin].

I would ask if anyone would like to play the role of merc according to its definition in this document, then I would consider starting another discussion outside of this game. PM your email address to me, and I will do the same. We can use Gtalk, or MSN IM.

Also, Dukem, you seem to be a fairly intelligent person by your wording and answers in various postings. It seems you actually look up a few things before you flap your gums; must be at least partially German. If you would like to have political discussion in this or other areas, PM me, and I will see if I can match your wit [believe me, I have been trying to find someone to pour my mind out to for a long time and will take the chance at any opportunity, if you are interested.].

AMEN TO THAT BROTHER.

Stu H

• Wolverine
« Reply #35 on: June 30, 2010, 06:26:40 AM »

The fact I used the EU as reference to a comment I made (about interpretation of wording) in no way can be used as justification to claim I had not read the GC.  That is two entirely separate points!

I have not gone and read it on the internet as you have, I have knowledge enough of what it is and entails from previous study without having to quote it word for word to reiterate a point of view.

Your comments about compliance with the GC also shows a certain 'scholarly ignorance/arrogance' which just proves you can read something and never actually understand it, or certainly never had any personal experience of it in use (or not!).  You can use your interpretation of it's various definitions all you like, but don't even try and comment on its application from your arm chair as you are clearly two bigoted to understand the circumstances under which it is applied.

DukeM

• Athlas
« Reply #36 on: June 30, 2010, 11:45:11 AM »

Dukem has it about right in his last post. At least he read it before commenting. Or at least skimmed through it. I know this because of the wording he used, and he did not relate it to the EU, which would indicate he had not read it. However, any document with definitions can be used as a dictionary relating to those subjects at hand, even if various countries do not abide by these definitions or change them whenever they want. Therefore, it can be used as a dictionary by this very definition for my purposes as to how I would like to play the merc role. [as an aside, the only countries that do not follow the GC regularly are the USA as a general rule, and a few other first world countries in a very minor way comparatively. Third world or worse are not 'civilized' enough to behave properly so they do not apply. Yes I admit the GC is a tad highfalutin].

You should not make a habit of evaluating other peoples posts in such a schoolmasterly fashion. I did not ask for you to correct and approve my comments nor do i want that.

I would ask if anyone would like to play the role of merc according to its definition in this document, then I would consider starting another discussion outside of this game. PM your email address to me, and I will do the same. We can use Gtalk, or MSN IM.

Also, Dukem, you seem to be a fairly intelligent person by your wording and answers in various postings. It seems you actually look up a few things before you flap your gums; must be at least partially German. If you would like to have political discussion in this or other areas, PM me, and I will see if I can match your wit [believe me, I have been trying to find someone to pour my mind out to for a long time and will take the chance at any opportunity, if you are interested.].

AMEN TO THAT BROTHER.

The definition of a merc is not as simple as that. Read the GC. Has ANYONE read the GC? I see alot of words and quotes to dictionaries anyone can look up that has a finger and a PC. The definition in the GC is the one I will be going by. If you guys want to go by the dumbed down one in any dictionary you can find go right ahead.

No the GC is not technically a dictionary. But it is what the world goes by when conflicts occur. It is the book for the 'definition of war' and the 'rules' you are supposed to follow as a human being. And mercs are what makes the conflicts alot more difficult to find a solutions and put a definition to.

Again i say, read the GC. No one here has read it. If the had they would not be quoting the Oxford, or some hoity toity Cambridge rag. ;p

You came quite a far way, from the "One Dictionary of the world" point of view to the the "merely your own path of the freelancer" but you try to slip through as if you never changed your mind.

One great step ahead in ones debating skills is the ability to admit that there were certain flaws in the oppinion you were propagating. Making mistakes is not the problem, not correcting them and acting as if they never happened is making a second one ;)

P.S. It is quite shocking to see someone goof off the Oxford dictionary in this way. It is, after all, the central pillar of the english language, it is the last authority, if there is actually any, to resort to if you are uncertain about spelling, usage or meaning of any given english word. It is its only purpose and not prone to political agendas.

Zopyros

« Reply #37 on: June 30, 2010, 12:09:18 PM »

You came quite a far way, from the "One Dictionary of the world" point of view to the the "merely your own path of the freelancer" but you try to slip through as if you never changed your mind.
How did I do that? Never did changed my mind throughout the discussion. Just mentioned what I was trying to do with what I was using. Does not and did not change the path I was using.  Never did change my mind about the GC. Or the Oxford, or Cambridge. Read it again

Do not care if you approve of my approval or not.

Twist my words, become the same as the rest. When you want a real debate, PM me.

Rodvil

• SpiderTank
« Reply #38 on: June 30, 2010, 09:29:17 PM »

Ok... again I will try to get back to the idea of starting a Mercenary alliance right now.
From what I could understand me and Adamsky are good to go, right?

From the others that commented here (or those that just watched the little flame discussion) is there someone else looking for more action and ready to join us?

Rodvil

• SpiderTank
« Reply #39 on: July 06, 2010, 03:05:55 AM »

I got my first successful Merc contract. Yupi!
It made my life fun for a couple of days and one happy employer. Well, it was for free like I promised so the employer should be very, very Happy!

Looking forward for the next contracts... they wont be free, but they will be very cheap! ;)

sponge

• Nemesis
« Reply #40 on: July 06, 2010, 10:57:21 AM »

congratulations ;)

Runenstahl

• translations_de
  • Athlas
« Reply #41 on: July 06, 2010, 09:47:31 PM »

I more or less grew up playing Battletech, so the concept of merc's is very interesting as they are a big factor in that world.

Right now I would not join such a group, but there will probably be times ahead were I would be interested in hiring them ;)

As far as I can see it there are MANY possible ways of handling this (not just two).

The solo merc - like any solo player a very dangerous approach, even more so, since merc's are prone to gather more enemies than other players. Also it should be mentioned that solo merc's might encounter difficulties with powerful employers... if they don't stand up to any agreements you've made you can only "spread the word" but are basically powerless to force them to stand by their word.

The merc-unit - a team of merc's that acts as one big mercenary. You basically would hire the group and they would fulfill the contract. The pro side is that you can take on much better contracts, are better protected against any enemies you might make, and you even have more power in case an employer tries to betray you. The downside is, that the single merc members give up much freedom.

The merc-guild - a bunch of merc's that work on their own but stick together when threatened by former enemies or when forcing employers to stick to agreements of payment. This would be some middle-ground between the solo and the unit and could be many different ways to do this. For example you could agree that different members CAN hire themselves out to different sides in a conflict or you could try to set up an agreement where members have to have approval before hiring themselves to someone so that these instances can be avoided... hell... the guild could even act like an medieval guild and try to force solo merc's into the guild to get a monopol on their services...
You could also decide that they do NOT protect each other against former victims and that their only common cause is to protect themselves from "bad" employers and help each other out by trading tech-items.
As mentioned this is not ONE possibility but there are many different approaches in handling such a guild.

I don't really see any difficulties in doing the merc idea and I don't see a big danger in merc's destroying alliances. That can (and most likely WILL happen) but since these options are open to everyone...

All I see are possibilities that make the game much more interesting in terms of action, politics and intrigue. Sounds like lot's of fun to me :)
"This dominator-equipped Nova is now the ultimate power in the universe !"

"Don't be too proud of this technological terror you've constructed. The ability to destroy a building is insignificant next to the power to program your mechs right."

Rodvil

• SpiderTank
« Reply #42 on: July 07, 2010, 02:35:15 PM »

The big problem in being a merc now and in the future is the lack of employers and employers market. :)
This will be the first thing mercs have to create: a new market and a need for mercs.

Maybe we could have a new area here in the forums for mercs. People could post possible contracts to auction for the best merc proposal/price. Mercs could post activity range in the map, type of jobs they take, fees, blahblah. Costumer review of services.
(before everyone kills me, yes, I know that is information you should keep secret, but it is good to have the option to share it alal in the same place if you want! Even putting a price in someones head on the forum can be a strategy! ;))

Since mercs will be going mostly solo for now, I guess this could be nice to have...

After the creation of the mercenary market/need the way we make it work will come easier. And yes, I do agree there are many different ways to do it.

adamsky

• Nova
    • Email
« Reply #43 on: July 07, 2010, 03:19:28 PM »

Later I will add "Marketplace" section. One for all acivities for now (resource trading, weapon-shops and mercenaries), but if there will be enough offers, we can divide it into sections.

I'm also thinking about some additional options in alliance diplomacy to make it easier for mercenaries. We want to add "official wars" so maybe we will think about some kind of "official mercenary contracts" too.

Gray Death

• Nova
  • We, who are about to die, salute you!
    • Cursed Legion
« Reply #44 on: July 07, 2010, 04:31:37 PM »

Later I will add "Marketplace" section. One for all acivities for now (resource trading, weapon-shops and mercenaries), but if there will be enough offers, we can divide it into sections.

I'm also thinking about some additional options in alliance diplomacy to make it easier for mercenaries. We want to add "official wars" so maybe we will think about some kind of "official mercenary contracts" too.

BIG, FAT +1!! My intro to 'Mech warfare was the Gray Death trilogy of Battletech novels. I've always been enamored of the Gray Deat Legion, The Northwind Highlanders, Wolf's Dragoons, and The Kell Hounds.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5