MechHero Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Sitter mechanism  (Read 536 times)

Robert-MH

• Athlas
Sitter mechanism
« on: December 02, 2018, 02:00:54 PM »

Hi Mech players,
As I had many discussions and tickets I am considering seriously to turn off this functionality, but want to gather your opinions first and launch a serious discussion.

Problem is that this mechanism has two sides and there is no simple answer to keep/turn off this:
1) Bright one side - simply to help player game-friends to maintain/develop our cities and avoid mech starvation.
2) Dark one - that this allows huge potential for cheating and multi accounts and this simply killing the game spirit and disencourage players from play. This was main reason why a lot of experienced people left the game.

Frankly I have never seen similar mechanism in other MMO games. We plan to launch also questionnaire on our facebook fanpage.

Could you give me your feedback?

Thank you,
Robert
« Last Edit: December 02, 2018, 02:16:14 PM by Robert-MH »

TheDude

• Puma
Re: Sitter mechanism
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2018, 11:05:57 PM »

This is a good idea...to remove sitter options.

Originally, the sitter option was not good enough, meaning you can only have 3 sitters. Other 'hammer' players did not like this, so they gave account ID and PW to anyone who wanted to help out, thereby defeating these limits. IMO, this is when the game started downhill as no bans were really put in place. Obvious multies were banned, but that is about it.

This idea becomes meaningless if there is no IP ban in place. For example, if I log in to more than one account at any time (my IP is on more than one account name) automatic and immediate ban for all accounts involved. NO!, they do not get to keep one; all are banned.

I don't even like the 'vacation' option. If you look at games that offer this (lets use ogame as an example) you just end up with everyone in vacation mode and no one playing, AND you cannot even farm the accounts. So the entire server is basically dead.

If it is game on then you play. No time, then build the appropriate buildings to help with reduced gameplay. That being said, maybe you could increase each bunker to a possible lvl20 and shield generators to lvl20 as well if you remove sitter option.

Robert-MH

• Athlas
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2018, 04:07:28 PM »

Thanks for feedback. This is direction which I like to follow. I am waiting for someone to convince me that sitter is needed.

Discussions with "cheater suspected" are really annoying (I play with my wife/brother on the same computer ...).

TheDude

• Puma
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2018, 11:27:16 PM »

Sure, you play with your family. Then play on one account with many different computers. This is easily done and gives a great advantage believe it or not. More than one account with same IP, instant BAN! no matter the reason.

Nobody

• Raptor
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2018, 11:16:36 AM »

At some point my farther and brother were really interested in this game and wanted give it a try so three of us played at the same time and there was no problems with it; following that I can't imagine that 3 of us played on one account, you can't expect someone who has never played this game before to give you any advantage, they would drag you down instead of helping you and this kind of game-play wouldn't give them any fun

I kinda agree that sitter option is not necessary, you just give pass to other person(obviously you need to trust this person)

however you wanted some positives for sitter option:
->this feature is very useful for showing new players how to configure mechs for NPCs or battles; just telling/showing them is not enough, sometimes you need to do it for them by yourself and it's kinda dodgy question to ask them for their password, isn't it ? At the end this game is complex and you can't learn everything in one server lifetime
->on fast server if you are away for more than 6 hours you can get destroyed badly during that time so if there is second person checking from time to time you can minimise the damage; I saw people before leaving the game because they were attacked overnight and lost everything during that time
->this feature was for so long that people got used to it(maybe instead of deleting this feature, change it a little ?)

PS. Also if you create account on your phone and use network for internet then you can have two different IP addresses(there are also easier ways to go around this); Im curious how you will find a way for it

Storm

• Vulture
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2019, 08:59:24 PM »

I agree that sitter should be removed.  This is abused too much.  Just my opinion.

Taipan

Enneagon

• SpiderTank
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2019, 02:08:54 AM »

When sitters are needed?

Well, for first there's a real situation back in the day, more specifically this battle Ridiculously Big, TROLOLO vs Rowdy Crew, round two.

We knew very well he have ~350 nova, we knew he will attack, we knew where he will likely attack, and we had a good guess when he will attack. We had a rather detailed defense plan on the ready. We dominated the server badly, but we actually were a bunch of rather casual players using our experience and knowledge instead of dedication. None of us had more than 120 nova individually, so that defense had to be a group effort. Across all 26 members we perhaps had less than two thousand.

When 953228 send and canceled a Raptor attack to me, just so I got a message and logged in to check what's the matter, what I found was a note that read about like: "He's coming. I'm in a business meeting, will head for airport right after. You know what to do." So I jumped over to his account to look around. Four cities were under simultaneous attack. Two where very likely fakes, and between the rest I had better than 75/25 guess with is the main. We had discussed this, and there was no question where the main defense must stand, but we were not taking any chances if we could not.

Yes, we had 12 hours, but 953228 didn't come back online until after the attack landed. His own mechs were scattered between half a dozen cities and were in NPC farming configurations; I had to rearm and reconfigure all of them, and that involved moving piles of equipment around. But even before that, I had to send out the alert to others involved in the defense plan. While the attack distance was great, the targets were on a side of our general cluster; counting rearming, some of the armies didn't have too much time at all. Sitters ended up rearming and moving around more than half of the over thousand mechs eventually deployed.

This is on the very core a team game.

Without sitter option, passwords will get shared. Heck, they eventually are anyway. On every server I have played seriously I have ended up with having quite a collection of passwords. Because sitters are never enough, if only for the restriction on AB attacks. I have launched sequences of over twenty to-the-second timed AB attacks from five different accounts, all belonging to active players, but such operations just are much more easier to manage if one person push the "attack" button every time.

People are not around for a while or quit for all kinds of reasons, including top players, and that may significantly change power balance. Although, managing empty accounts is a great pain in the ass, mostly, at least until they are reconfigured to be simple cell farms, and those are not at all that useful than some people seems to think. But I have also joined game mid-server, taking over already large account; that sort of thing is very rare, but does happen from time to time.

On the slightly abusive side I have had sitters that do harvesting in parallel with me launching NPC missions and doing other things. Because how this game is right now, time is the most important resource, efficiency is critical. A group account can be way more efficient than one person trying to manage several. Three people playing three accounts as a close knot team is way better.

On the totally white side, I strongly agree that sitter option is unparalleled teaching aid. Not only I have taken hands-on approach and set things for a newbie, I also have let people in for a tour to see how I have set up things in my account.

There is a trick that lets copy simulator setups from one account to another that require sitter access. It is the only way people without SHA can have accurate NPC setups saved in their simulator since several of those include tricky behaviors not easy to recreate, and at lest one setup is (was?) impossible. I have several times stated that NPC setups for simulator should be purchasable. Save to outside file, export, import and transfer simulator setups would be extremely useful, and necessary if sitter option is removed. 

Finally, and some will see this as gray area too, but the most legal way to spy on another alliance is by sitter access. A real player willingly join enemy, and by themselves play seemingly for them, usually in a casual low activity supportive role, but they betray the alliance they joined by giving me sitter access. I have had this setup a number of times, including the very first game I played.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2019, 02:24:25 AM by Enneagon »